Sunday, July 23, 2017

Phliippians 4:4 Part 2. Patrick's Strength. Glue Basting Tutorial. Book Date.

Philippians 4:4 Part 2
Part 1
Scripture

















Application con't.
Yesterday we defined rejoice, joy and noted the section in red. Joy - and the ability to rejoice always - comes from God!  

I certainly could not have rejoiced through many of my challenges without Him!  I remember when we discussed 
joy and Philippians 2:11.  His joy is our strength.




To the best of our abilities,
let us not grieve
past hurts,
present challenges
or
future fears.  

Let us draw on God's joy 
so that we may be 
healed from past hurts,
strengthened to face present challenges
and 
have courage to face our future with faith-filled hearts and minds.

Prayers
LORD, so much is happening in our world.  Sometimes I feel bombarded with all I see around me.  It becomes hard to rejoice.  It becomes hard to praise You.

You are so faithful and patient.  You remind me to turn on praise and worship music.  Sooner rather than later, my faith is rejuvenated.  Your precious Word is filled with reassurances and hope.  Thank You, Abba for these gifts of encouragement and hope!
Amen!

Patrick's Strength

Patrick received his afghan!  How exciting is that!  His mom sent me this picture of it laying on his bed.  I purposely made the afghan a bit narrower than most so it could be used on a hospital bed without interfering with the controls.  I am moved beyond words.......
She gave me permission to share it!  Wasn't that sweet of her!  Please continue your prayers as his situation is extremely serious.  



Glue Basting 

UPDATED 7/24/17:
Glue Basting or Spray Basting
Yes!  I used the wrong term!  It's spray basting!  Sorry - newbie mistake!
I don't often quilt my own quilts.  They usually go to my dear Stephanie.  My daughter quilts my baby quilts.  On the very rare occasion that I quilt my own quilts, I glue baste them - a process my daughter taught me.  She uses a 505 Spray Adhesive.  I picked up a can of Spray 'n Bond Adhesive with a coupon.  

I love it because it is so much friendlier to my hands than pinning.  I haven't used this process enough to say it's perfect - but it works for me!  

Here's how I do it!

1) Lay out a twin sized top sheet (for a baby quilt) or some other covering to protect your surface.  I spread it out on my cutting table to protect the surface and my yarn  stash(it hangs on the side of the table). Spread out your backing, right side down on the sheet smoothing away any wrinkles/bumps.  
2) I roll up the batting.  Then spray a coat of adhesive to about the first 9" of the backing.  Carefully lay out your batting over the sprayed section.


3) Spray another 9" or so.  Spread out your batting.  Repeat this process until  your batting is completely laid out!

Now, I forgot to take pictures of the next steps, but it's basically the same.  
Roll up your quilt top.
Spray about 9" of your batting.
Carefully lay out your quilt top on the sprayed batting, smoothing it down.  
Repeat the process until you have basted the entire quilt top.  UPDATED 7/24/17
TO INCLUDE THIS PIC!

You are now ready to quilt!

As always I'm interested in your comments and suggestions! Please share your thoughts and experiences with glue basting in the comments! 

Book Date:  Younger Next Year Part 2
Currently I'm reading Younger Next Year by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge, M.D. I'm on chapter 7 and thus far the authors have made a convincing argument for daily exercise - exercise that makes us sweat.  Albeit, it was a bit detailed for my tastes but I was convinced!  I'll keep you appraised of my progress with this read.  Granted I may be doing some skimming rather than reading......  :)
  
I'm linking up to




@ Cooking Up Quilts



10 comments:

  1. First time visiting your blog - lovely. We are currently busy with the Book of Nehemiah in my Bible study group. I've done it before and it is one of my favorite Bible books. Nehemiah 8:10 is my go-to Bible verse!

    Hope you will have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How neat is that? The first time you visit my blog and you see your go-to Bible verse! God's timing! Our pastor encouraged us to read Nehemiah.......Your comments must be confirmation to me to read it! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Patricks Strength looks great on his bed - lots of love and prayers to him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and thank you for the prayers! Patrick and his family and loved ones certainly appreciate them!

      Delete
  3. Ohh, Patrick's afghan turned out beautiful! Praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy! He certainly needs them....sadly, the situation is very serious. I so appreciate our friendship and your visits!

      Delete
  4. Good Morning,
    Wonderful news about Patrick's afghan - it was so nice that she shared a picture with you (and us)! I have used the 504 basting spray a few times myself. I can certainly see how that would be easier than pins on your hands. Are you hand or machine quilting this? ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roseanne! My daughter quilted the Scrappy Squares Baby Quilt for me using an Orange Peel design. I did a mix of hand and domestic sewing machine quilting on the panel quilt. I'm not very good at machine quilting, but hopefully the mistakes won't show up too much after it's washed! ;) I showed off my daughter's quilting in today's (7/2/17) post just in case you'd like to see it! Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete
  5. When I make small quilts I use the spray baste method. Works so well and is so easy just like you mention. You might want to look at the Sulky Temporary Spray Adhesive KK2000. It doesn't have noxious fumes and dissipates over time. The trick is to make sure you quilt your project before it vanishes! I get mine through Amazon. I find the small can goes a long way. I had to give up on quite a bit of fabric one time because I was over spraying and I never could get the adhesive out of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh! I will definitely give the Sulky Spray a try! Thank you so very much for the tip! Isn't it great how we can all connect online? :) Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete