Thursday, November 3, 2016

Philippians 1:23. Block 3 of Be My Neighbor. OMG!

Philippians 1:23

SCRIPTURE:
OBSERVATION:
NOTE:  I am displaying both verses 23 and 24 because they are one sentence and really go together. 
Paul is torn.
He is torn between going to be with his Savior or serving his Savior here on Earth.  His heart’s desire is obvious to me as he states, “…which is better by far…” after the choice of going to be with Christ.
   
Please note, he doesn’t simply say that to be with Christ is better, he states, “is better BY FAR…”.  Interesting wording.

APPLICATION
In the last two weeks, various circumstances have led me to face my feelings on illness, death, my parents’ aging, and the acceptance of both. 
I know with terminal illness I have adopted a friend’s attitude:
As long as there is life,
There is hope!  Can I hear an Amen?!  J


Philippians 1:23 gives me a lot of comfort regarding death.  It is far better to be with Christ! 

This song is one of my favorites!




This verse also comforts me:
I’ve always seen my parents as strong, wise, unbreakable.  But, now, in their mid 80’s and late 70’s, recent events have shown me they are still full of wisdom.  But, the reality is we all grown old and weaker.  It’s so strange though.  

I wonder how you, my readers, deal with this issue?

I’ve decided to appreciate every moment I can have with them.  It’s a gift – and I realize it always has been a gift.  I’ve realized that they are not disabled or weak, just a bit more tired.  
This is not my parents,
but it sure reminds me of them!
Now that I'm stronger again, I'm so glad we live only  about 1 1/4 hours from each other so that I can visit them weekly again!  And I'm so glad we love each other so much!  Yes, love....it's wonderful!  

I'll share a song my dad often refers to when he's teaching me to live life to the fullest!  



 
Many times, as we would sit with my husband’s grandmother, she would state that she was ready to go.  She was tired.  She had fought the good fight.

But, here, Paul longs to be with Christ, yet he knows he still has work to do!  People to reach, teach and disciple!  And so, while we have the strength, let us be encouraged to do the same!

PRAYER
LORD, I surely don’t know what direction these studies will take.  Sometimes I feel so awkward and without direction, yet You faithfully guide my fingers as they type.  Thank You!  

I’m sure there are many hurting people reading this little devotion today/tonight.  I ask You to comfort and guide them through their difficulties.

Also, my LORD, encourage, confirm and guide those who are trying to live their lives as a godly example.  Let them know somehow that their efforts are making a difference!  

Thank You for helping me to make peace with illness, death and my parent’s aging.  Thank You for Your guidance, tools and loving reminders to grapple with these issues.  I pray they bless someone else as well.  Amen!


Block 3 of Be My Neighbor
Part of my To Do List was to cut the fabric for Block 3 of Moda's Be My Neighbor QAL. Well, I'm really hoping to get it sewn up as well, but we'll see. 
Here's my fabric pull!


Here is the Advent Tree I'm hoping to finish this month. It's my OMG goal!


Here it is with all the decorations
placed on it!

I'm linking up to Needle and ThreadThursday at My Quilt Infatuation.  I'm linky up my OMG - One Monthly Goal over at Elm Street Quilts - it's new home for the rest of 2016 and into 2017!


Thank you so much for visiting!
Dear Friend, this is my truth!  
Take good care!


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal - good luck on finishing your advent tree quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! I'm a bit nervous about finishing it on time, however I'll sure try as I would love to give it to my son so he can use it this year! :)

      Delete
  2. great job on the article and the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm actually thinking of hand quilting around the tree, Nativity and animals..... :o We'll see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your blog postings. I stumbled upon your blog not too long ago and always find it uplifiting and positive. I, too have had breast cancer but have recently been given a clean bill of health - thank you Lord. My parents are the same age as yours and they have been there every step of the way for me but I, too see them aging. I have not secrets to share other than to live every day to the fullest and love and cherish them. Love your Advent Tree. Great job! Although we don't know each other I have prayed for you - be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shauna! Thank you for your kind comments, encouragement and prayers! What a sweet sister in the Lord you are! We know each other now - on many levels. We are sisters in the same battle against cancer, we are sisters in the Lord! So, hello, Sister! Nice to meet you! Thank you for stopping by and commenting! Blessings to you! Congratulations on your clean bill of health! Yea!

      Delete