Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Still Stitching #10. Scrappy Four Patch Progress #2. Book Date.

Still Stitching #10


This is so very true. 
But, how do I NOT open my heart to my loved one? 
He is precious to me! 
Consequently, how many times has my heart been broken?
Countless times.
I have not been able to implement completely this point in my life.
I am, however, able to protect my heart a bit more.

Addicts and alcoholics are sick.  I’ve been told it’s a disease – an thought I’m still grappling with.  One therapist did give me a great perspective though.  She gave me five pieces of paper and asked me to write one of the most precious things/people in my life on each piece of paper. 

Then she told me, “There has been a tragedy and you just lost one of those five.  Please choose one to lose, fold it up and give it to me.”  I read each paper, picked one, folded it and reluctantly gave it to her.

High Quality hand Blank Meme Template
A second time, she told me, “There has been another tragedy.  Please choose another one to lose, fold it up and give it to me.”  Again, I read the remaining four papers, picked one, folded it and ever so reluctantly gave it to her.

A third time she told me, “There has been another tragedy.  Please choose another one to lose, fold it up and give it to me.”  Again, I read the remaining three papers, struggling immensely picked one, folded it and painfully gave it to her.
A fourth time she told me, “There has been another tragedy.  Please choose another one to lose, fold it up and give it to me.”    In desperation, I read the remaining two papers, resignedly picked one, folded it and gave it to her.  I clung to the last remaining paper, knowing what was coming.

A final time she told me, “There has been another tragedy.  Please choose another one to lose, fold it up and give it to me.”  In desperation, I read the remaining paper.  There was no way I could give it up.  The word written on it was, “God”.  I told the therapist she could not have it. 

High Quality Hand  Blank Meme Template
She smiled and told me, “That is how your alcoholic (or addict) feels.  They allow their alcoholism (or addiction) to take everything from them, but they hang on to their alcohol (or drugs) with the same determination/desperation you are holding on to your last paper.)

I understood.
Unfortunately, this new understanding lead to years of enabling which I could not seem to stop.  However, in recent years of learning I’ve been exposed to the lessons offered in in the rooms of Al-Anon like the ones in this series. 

Does my heart still get broken? 
Yes.  Most definitely. 
Do I still open my heart to my loved one?  Hmmmm…….what does that mean exactly?  I’ll be pondering that thought and share in my next post.  In the meantime, if you like, please tell me, “What does opening your heart mean to you?”

#1stitchaday



Scrappy Four Patch Progress
Remember when I started this Scrappy Four Patch inspired by Amanda Jean @ Crazy Mom Quilts?  I've completed some more squares!
This stack of "2 squares" is ready to be sewn up into 4-patches.  
I usually work on this project during my daily calls to Dad.  Sometimes we talk more than an hour, so a ton of progress is made.  Sometimes, he's really busy, so we only talk a few minutes.  I've told him that it's like he's right next to me keeping me company as I sew!  Special times indeed.

Book Date
I'm excited to say that I am reading quite a few books at one time - and keeping the them straight in my head!  Yea!

Book Date
Image result for the story the bible as one continuing story of god

I'm on Chapter 20 of this wonderful read!  The Story continues to be a blessing to me, especially when highlighted by Pastor Dale's sermons and our weekly study!   
I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
I'm looking forward to reading more of this book this week.  Lately, fiction has been my heart's desire.  





I'm enjoying the getting to know the characters Jan Karon is introducing in Light from Heaven  - and believe me - there are some interesting characters.  There are also some faith lessons to be absorbed.  
The Tenth Circle: A Novel
I finished The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult this week.  Eeesh.  It was a tough read as I followed the dynamics of a family facing great challenges.  Jodi Picoult did a fabulous job developing the characters,  describing the events, and keeping me wondering.  I even took a rare morning off from all activities to simply sit and read.  A heavy book, but very captivating and thought provoking.  

Image result for the girls of august goodreads
I started reading The Girls of August by Anne Rivers Siddons this weekend and I'm already enjoying the pace, the characters and the plot.  I can hardly wait to see what happens as these ladies vacation for two weeks in a beautiful home on a remote island.

You can see the list of books I've read over at Goodreads!  My user name is, of course, Miaismine!  

I wonder what summer reading you are enjoying?  If you'd like to share, please let me know in the "comments"!  Love reading and responding to those comments!

Linking up to


2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your inspiration on the Show and Tell Monday !! Bambi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! Love the links I find!

      Delete