Saturday, June 4, 2022

Weekly Word: Healing + Stitching and Gratitude This Week!

   

Hello there!

Wow!  Next week our forecast is for lows in the 70's and highs in the 100's!  I guess it's time to go to my summer schedule:  errands done before 10:00 am and home for the rest of the day!  I've been adding mint leaves to my water for that extra bit of freshness.

Our grandchildren and my daughter taught us how to use the Alexa machine to call my parents.  My husband and I had a wonderful visit with them this morning.  It was good to see them.

I'm reading a book (see My Reading Life) that made me wonder what we choose to do with our emotional/mental pain?  Do we sit with it and take time to process?  Do we go to our Heavenly Father?  Do we pack it in a box and stuff it away?  Do we deny it?  I'm addressing that very topic in our Weekly Word.  

Thank you so much for stopping by!  

As my weekly posts are jampacked with lots of fun mini- articles, here's is an index should you have a special interest you'd like to read first!  Otherwise, settle in with your favorite beverage and snack and enjoy!  
The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects.   
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings!    

Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer - Here you will find updates on life after Triple Negative Breast Cancer.  I was diagnosed in November of 2014 and my last day of treatment was in November 2015.   

Weekly Word

I find it interesting how God leads me to the various devotional topics for this blog.  This week's topic came while I was reading Tolstoy and the Purple Chair by Nina Sankovitch.  After three years of grieving for her older sister via busyness, she intentionally created an intentional plan to sit still and simply read:  a book a day for a year.   
Her plan reminded me of these two verses.  How many times do we run from emotional pain and the healing God offers by running to busyness?
Perhaps it's time for us to be still and know He is the God who will walk with us through the valley of darkness.  
He is offering us green pastures to rest in.  Can you picture those pastures and the softness of the grass against your weary body?
He will lead us beside still waters.  Can you see the smooth lake or the gently rolling waves of the ocean?  Aren't they so healing?
Today - and everyday - let us remember to take time off from activity to acknowledge and feel our pain, give it to the Great Healer and then snuggle in His healing embrace.   

My Reading Life

Currently reading


 Finished 


★★★★ The Reading List is another book that feeds my love for books about readers.  Though it is somewhat predictable, this does not detract from the story in the slightest.  In fact, I loved how it actually enriched my reading experience.  The take-away for me was that readers, like quilters, have huge, beautiful hearts and a desire to share the healing power of books - if we let them.  
★★★★ The Magician's Nephew  Again, C.S. Lewis presented a wonderfully written work with lessons to be learned, children displaying great courage and victory to the good guys!

Stash Report

Yarny Numbers
There were no changes in my yarn stash this week.
Fabric Numbers
I took some time out to bind my first Christmas quilt that I've made for myself!  You can see it below!  Hence, my fabric numbers look even better!


To Do Tuesday

Last Week's List
1. Sunday Slow StitchingStitch up one hexie a day.  I'm also going to start binding this quilt today!  This will end up being my very first Christmas quilt that I’m making just for me. Done and done!
My seven hexies for the week will fill in the green and orange shortage I seem to have.  
I have quite the collection thus far!
If you recall, I was making one hexie a day, but that fell to the wayside.  In addition, I was also joining them to make the quilt.  I've decided to focus on making the hexies and when I've finished the 365 Day Project, I'll begin joining them.  It may take me another 365 days!  😉
Here is my Christmas Panel Quilt in Lella Boutique's fabric line:  Christmas Morning
2.  Crochet Join at least 10 hexies to the Hexagon Afghan that I started so long ago!  Done!  
3.  Machine Sewing & Christmas Sewing ListContinue stitching the grandchildren’s 2022 Christmas softies. Completion Goal Date: June 15  Done!  I'm extending the deadline to sometime in July.  
Bonus!  Machine SewingPieces in the Garden - I actually got the pieces all cut out and ready to stitch!    

This Week's List
1. Sunday Slow StitchingStitch up one hexie a day.  
2.  Crochet This week I'll be taking a break from crochet to perhaps catch up on the QAYG hexies.  
3.  Machine Sewing & Christmas Sewing ListContinue stitching the grandchildren’s 2022 Christmas softies. Completion Goal Date: July

Gratitude Journal

Having a challenging week?  Well, this song will encourage you and get you dancing!  Stay strong - Jesus is coming back!
After an appointment in El Paso, we treated ourselves to this yummy lunch.  It is supposed to be a rib eye steak sandwich, but I ask for it without the bread and with the condiments.  This is the delicious result!


While shopping for netting at Jo Ann's I scored this great game for only $1.99 with a $5 off coupon!  
Much of our focus is on the accomplishments of men, but let's remember and teach our younger generations about the wonderful contributions women have made to our society as well!
Here are my dream bookshelves.
I'm so grateful for my loving husband who said, 
"Sure - why not build them?"
photo credit:  nextluxury.com

Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer

Here are a few more tips that eased the discomfort of chemotherapy.  Remember, check with your oncologist before trying any new medications/foods.  Also, report any discomfort immediately to your oncologist.  There are so many medications to help you through this challenging time.  
1.  Along with loads of water, ginger is also your friend.
2.  Alpha lipoic acid and turmeric with pepper can help with pain/neuropathy.  Check with your oncologist before taking any supplements.
3.  Rest is also your friend.  Graciously accept help when it's offered.  Reach out for help as well!   
4.  I drank fruit smoothies that included the Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein and Greens Powder and still do.  It's completely organic and vegan.  My radiation oncologist was impressed that it has 20 grams of protein and 130 calories.  I first purchased all the flavors in individual envelopes to find the flavor I like best.  

I urge you to check with your oncologist before adding any supplement or food to your diet.  Each cancer is different, each reaction to chemotherapy is different.  Let your oncologist know how you are feeling.  Ask for help.  Accept help.  Remember, this is not the rest of your life, just a part of your life.  This too will pass.    

Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!


Here are some blogs I sometimes link up to!
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict (Friday)

 


18 comments:

  1. The Reading List sure looks good. I like bookish books too. That ribeye sandwich sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are definitely my dream bookshelves as well!

    I love how you say that the Spirit guides you to scriptures with what you read. That has happened to me as well previously.

    I have Flowers for Algernon on my Kindle, but believe it or not, I still haven't read it. Although I only hear wonderful things about it.

    Have a wonderful and blessed week ahead!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt The Reading List a bit predictable too. But I enjoyed it! Thank you for your info regarding breast cancer. I Love your dream bookshelves.

    I hope you have a great week ahead.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Reading List in on my TBR list. I am currently reading I'd Rather Be Reading, another bookish book. I want to quilt and learn to crochet. I bought a crochet project this past weekend, hoping it will motivate me (and be easy!). Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Few readers can resist books about books :)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy hearing about your sewing/crocheting/book/faith journeys!!! That bookcase! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Magician's Nephew is my second favorite of the Narnia books. My favorite is The Horse and His Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the panel and the bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bookshelves are amazing. Definitely a dream! I love the Christmas panel quilt. It's beautiful. The Magician's Nephew is probably my favorite of the Narnia books. I didn't read it until I was an adult and was blown away with the connections to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I will have to look into the Alpha Lipoic Acid with Turmeric and Pepper for my son (after I check with his oncologist). We've been lucky in that his neuropathy isn't too bad but he still has some weakness in his right leg as well as some pain and anything that can help is a win. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love looking at those hexies. They look amazing.
    Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. Your lunch looks delicious . Your crafts are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You remind me I want to read The Reading List. Love that Christmas panel and I like her fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those hexies look so pretty all together. Oh those bookshelves! They are the dream indeed. Love the Christmas panel, in fact there probably isn't a Christmas panel I don't like. The ribeye looks yummy.
    Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the hexes!! That's on my list, but the list is getting much too long. LOL! Chrisknits

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a blessing you and this post are. Have a lovely day. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your lovely work. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The perfect post for me to read this morning. You have shared so many interesting things. Love the stitching you showed and the idea of working on a Christmas quilt for you now. Yes to the treat of eating out! And sharing your reading too. I checked back to look at your hexagon afghan...I made one of those around the same time. Yes to you getting yours worked on. Thanks for sharing the spiritual reading...Be still is a potent message, I think.

    ReplyDelete