Friday, January 26, 2018

Philippians 4:17. Double Duty Table Topper. Tumbling Block Help Please.

Philippians 4:17
Scripture
Observation
Paul knows that God will bless those who give.  So do I.  I've lived it.  Yes, he certainly appreciates the gifts, the care and the thoughtfulness the Philippians showed him.  But, he knows that we can't "out-give" God.  


Application
You know, 
I see this verse about receiving gracefully.  
It's so easy 
to give, 
to be there when a loved one needs us,
to help a friend.

But what about 
when we 
are on the receiving end?  
Do we
receive gracefully and gratefully?  

Or do we feel "bad" 
about receiving?  
To be honest, I sometimes do.

But, I'll be learning.
Because others are blessed when they give - 
even to me.

I want my loved 
ones to be blessed by God
not just by me.
Then, their faith 
will be strengthened 
as they give.  

Just as mine has been.
That alone is a blessing in itself!

Prayer
Father, wow...such a huge life lesson from 17 words:  
Receive with grace
that others may be blessed.
Thank you, Abba!
Amen.

Double Duty Table Topper
When I saw this tutorial at 
Karen from Sister of the Great Divide, I was hooked!  It works wonderfully on my round table and, because I used a backing fabric that can be fall or Christmas, 


it saw me through the holidays!

Maybe I'll remember to make some for every season!
Thank you, Karen, for such a great tutorial!

Help, Please!
Ok.  I want to make my son a quilt.  I asked him to choose a pattern and he did:  the tumbling block quilt.  I loved his choice!  I found this tutorial and got to work.  
Tumbling blocks with no Y seams video tutorial
I did pretty good as you can see.  Here was part of it on my design board. 
I "kinda" noticed that some of my green parallelograms 
were cut a bit wonky, 
but ignored them.   

Friends, don't do that.
Your quilt will turn out like this:
hardly a point matching.

Now, I'm definitely determined.
I'm making another tumbling block baby quilt.
Yup.
Now I know:
1) be careful with cutting
2) be careful with color placement.
3) I will do this!  :)

To address the cutting issue:  
Yes, I must be more careful.  I wondered if my Accuquilt could rescue me....
I own an Accuquilt with various dies and the 9" Cube.  Surely there must be a combination of dies that would help make a tumbling block square?  

Any ideas?  I sure would appreciate any help you can offer!

Linking up to






8 comments:

  1. I agree with you that it is easier to give than to receive what others will give to me. but so true that when we receive, they who give are experiencing blessings.
    Your table top is great. It would be a good idea to sew for different seasons when it fits your table well. Here we had a course where we sew such table top, but my cloth was not the way I thought and now it's in my UFO basket . I should have finished it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement! I'm hoping to make another one for Valentines Day and maybe St. Patrick's Day! We'll see! I'd love to see your table top progress.... :) Take good care!

      Delete
  2. I don't know much about dies, but matching points in tumbling blocks looks really challenging to me in any case, even though I admire the pattern. I hope you find what you're looking for. I love your color scheme and fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement! I had fun playing and learning with the bright colors! Take good care!

      Delete
  3. Y-seams are much easier to sew than trying to match all those points. You still have to cut carefully and do some marking on the blocks but I think it looks better. The block looks whole instead of pieced together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm....Y-seams really scare me....but I think I'll take your advice and try them on the next baby quilt. I am hoping to cut out the fabric tomorrow. I will conquer the Tumbling Block Quilt! :) Thank you for your input! Take good care!

      Delete
  4. Best of luck on your NEXT Tumbling Blocks quilt!! If Deb Tucker has a ruler for this, I would recommend it. A number of friends have recently experienced great success with her specialty rulers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestion! I love you user name: The Joyful Quilter! ;)

      Delete