Saturday, February 5, 2022

Weekly Word: Oh So Confident David. Plus My Reading, Stitching and Gratitude This Week!


 

Hello There!
Oh my, thank you for your emails asking about our trip to San Diego.  It. Was. Wonderful.  This time was a road trip and we had some nice long conversations.  My family looks healthier than ever, both of my parents' labs are fabulous!  Daddy is ready to live to 100!  My husband and I experienced romantic walks on the gorgeous Coronado beach and in Little Italy.  Sunrises and sunsets were lovely and gratefully enjoyed as our balcony faced the ocean.    I've scattered pictures of our trip throughout this post.  I hope you enjoy your visit today!
Here's is an index should you have a special interest you like to read first!  
The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects. 
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings!    

The Weekly Word

I've often been in awe of David's confidence of his righteousness before God as well as being referred to as "a man after God's own heart. (1 Samuel 13:14 and Acts 13:22).  As I've been writing the Psalms out verse by verse, God has been speaking deeply to my heart.  David's confidence comes from his own personal journey in developing a deeply personal, honest and trusting relationship with God.  Let's take a look at this.    
Psalm 18:21-24 stopped me in my tracks, especially verse 24b. 
The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness,
according to the cleanness of my hands in His sight. Psalm 18:14
David's focus is on how God sees him:  "in His sight".  He is not focused on what others may be thinking or saying!  Absolutely, let us listen with discerning hearts to wisdom shared by loving, godly people, but also seek confirmation from our LORD and Savior and ask ourselves, "What is God telling us via His Word and His Holy Spirit?"  
David also gives credit to the LORD for his victories.  In Psalm 18:28-36, David is recognizing and crediting God for his victories. Our strength is in Him!  No wonder David is so confident - he realizes that God's strength goes before him! 

28For You, O LORD, light my lamp;

my God lights up my darkness.

29For in You I can charge an army,

and with my God I can scale a wall.

30As for God, His way is perfect;

the word of the LORD is flawless.

He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.

31For who is God besides the LORD?

And who is the Rock except our God?

32It is God who arms me with strength

and makes my way clear.

33He makes my feet like those of a deer

and stations me upon the heights.

34He trains my hands for battle;

my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

35You have given me Your shield of salvation;

Your right hand upholds me,

and Your gentleness exalts me.c

36You broaden the path beneath me

so that my ankles do not give way.

He kept his focus on his LORD even when he knew he failed Him.  When he sinned, David knew could go to his LORD not only with a humble, repentant heart, but with confidence of forgiveness and a fresh start.  He was so vulnerable and open with his Abba that in Psalm 19:11-13 he even asked for God to forgive his hidden sins!  He follows this up with asking God to keep him from willfully sinning!  Oh that we would have such attitudes towards our LORD!  


Thus by 1) focusing on God's opinion of him,  2) recognizing the Source of his victories, 3) by maintaining a repentant, humble heart, 3) by praying not only to be kept from willfully sinning, but for even his hidden faults to be forgiven, naturally David would have confidence in his good standing with his Abba Father.      
As we go through life, let us seek to develop these characteristics that we may also enjoy this same confident, trusting relationship with  Abba Father and also be called "a man (woman) after God's own heart."

Reading Life


Currently Reading


Finished
The Girl With the Louding Voice is a powerful story about a young lady finding her way in the world despite the obstacles she faces.  I sincerely hope there will be a sequel so we can follow her search for her louding voice!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Fredik Backman continues to impress with Bear Town.  It was a raw story of the effects of their high school's hockey team culture on the town.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I really enjoyed Clutter Connection!  My husband and I discussed the various organizational personalities on our trip.  We came to deeper understanding of each other's oh so different styles! 
I did find myself skimming the chapters that did not pertain to use, but that was on me, not the author! ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 
Though I am not a huge fantasy reader, I am enjoying participating in Naniathon'21Prince Caspian was a delightful read.  I do find that I capture more of the story by actually reading it versus listening via Libby.  
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I listened to Hillbilly Elegy read by the author.  At first I was concerned as some reviewers had stated they felt the language was too coarse.  However, this is part of J. D. Vance's story.  Editing the language would be removing part of the very culture he is sharing about - removing a part of his story.  I learned so much about the hillbilly culture.  He offers what sounded to me as workable solutions.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I am making progress on my Reading of a Lifetime Challenge in which I am reading  a book published every year since the year of my birth.  The goal is to read 20 a year making this at least a three year goal.  Thus far I have these years read:
2016 - Behind Closed Doors - B. A. Paris
2017 - The Broken Road - Richard Paul Evans
2018 - The Forgotten Road - Richard Paul Evans
2019 - The Road Home - Richard Paul Evans
2020 - The3 Girl with the Louding Voice - Abi Daré 
2021 - The Secret Keepers of the Old Depot Grocery - Amanda Cox
Stash Report
Yarn Numbers
No changes in my yarn numbers.  😊
Fabric numbers
A lot of changes on the fabric front!
Due to a complete redo of my second Santa Fe Trail quilt, I purchased a bit of go with fabric as well as the backing!  
While in San Diego I prepped my will power and went to Rosie's Calico Cupboard.  She has every themed fabric one could ask for - literally everything.  I managed to eek out with a simple one yard of 30's fabric and some goodies for myself.  I did buy a bit of fabric for a friend.  

Oh, but it Tucson I was not so lucky once I entered the Quilter's Market shop!
Robin Pickens' Solana jelly roll simply rolled into my heart.  

Naturally Lori Holt's Cook Book and Sandy Gevaris From the Heart layer cakes joined the party.  Then, I found Joanna Figuera's Fig Tree Favorites!  Yup, her layer cake wouldn't be left out.  And somehow, one of her mini charms made it into my own heart as well.  
My Qube Crush quilt went to San Diego with me so that I could 1) stay warm and 2) start bindig it.  It's done!  My daughter suggested I get pics of it on the beach, so you'll see it below in my digital Gratitude Journal.  
Thanks to this finish and my hexies, I'm still in the black!  


To Do Tuesday
Last Week's List
1.  Sunday Slow Stitching:  I'm sure I can keep up making hexies - especially on our road trip to see my parents!  I think these are most of the ones I've made lately, but the for sure and certain ones are on Instagram (miaismine22).Done!   


I also hope to make progress on this tea towel I just started.  Last year, Kathy at Kathy Quilt's inspired me to embroider tea towels.  No progress.  I chose instead to hand bind my Qube Crush quilt!  (See below) It will be on my bed tonight!  I just love a quilt with a flannel backing!  
2. Crochet: I'm sure I can get a few rows in before we leave.  Done!
3.  Machine Sewing:  Use the extra yardage from the flannel quilts to make one or two easy scarves.  If all the stars align, I would like to make the binding for those quilts as well. Done.  Rereading this goal, I realized it wasn't written very clearly.  Using this tutorial from We All Sew as a basis, I did make a cute little scarf, that could also be a shawlette.  I was made binding for three quilts I got back from Stephanie, my LAQ, and attached one! 
4.  Christmas Sewing:  This goal is on pause until we get back.  - my flannel quilt +made a bonus baby quilt
 - mug rugs 
- my grandchildren's next softies 
- two Christmas quilts for my own home (Can you believe I haven't made me even one?!)  😲
- a Christmas table topper
This Week's List
1.  Sunday Slow Stitching:  
    - Continue making two hexies a day.  
    - Make  progress on my embroidered tea towel!
2. Crochet: Finish up my granddaughter's afghan.
3.  Machine Sewing:  I'm done sharing my sewing space with scraps!  Hence, this week's goals.
    - Use the above 5" flannel squares plus the remaining bits and bobs to make this Farmhouse On Point Four Patch Quilt  by Amy at Diary of a Quilter and maybe even a matching pillow for my original flannel quilt.  I still have some white flannel that is begging to be used up so this could be doable.  
    - I also plan to participate in Melva's new SAL!  Need to at least prep those fabrics!  I hope you'll join in!
4.  Christmas Sewing:    
    - Next up:  Holiday mug rugs 
    - my four grandchildren's next softies 
    - two Christmas quilts for my own home (Can you believe I haven't made me even one?!)  😲
   - a Christmas table topper 

 


 

Gratitude Journal

Most of all, I am so grateful that we were able to take our trip to San Diego.  It was wonderful to see my parents, be hugged by them and just stare at their faces!  Daddy laughs so much now!  He laughs so hard that his barriga (tummy) jiggled like Santa Claus!  Mama and I spent an entire day together!  We had many memorable outings, conversations and hugs, hugs, and more hugs!  

My only desire for next time is to spend more time with my beautiful, caring sister and my brother-in-law.  They are taking phenomenal care of our parents.  Their move to San Diego was excruciating for me, but all four of them look so healthy, my parents' labs are amazing and they are so happy that it is all worth it.   Letting go of our loved ones can be so painful, but in our case, I now rejoice knowing their quality of life has drastically improved!

My husband and I stayed at the beautiful Navy North Island Lodge in a suite with a balcony looking over the ocean.  Without exception, every employee was industrious, friendly and accommodating in every way possible.  I hope we are blessed to stay there again.  

Here's a couple of beautiful videos.  I hope you enjoy them!



On a night time stroll through Little Italy, we stopped by Dick Blick's Art store and I picked up this cool little Stash and Store that instantly organized my most used sewing tools.  The little book was just too cute to sit on a shelf!  

The rest of my digital Gratitude Journal will simply be pictures that I pray will bless you.  I will also be sharing a few on Instagram (miaismine22).  


Our suite.

The view from the roof-top patio.


My Qube Crush (binding in progress).
The Qube Crush on our balcony.




Daddy in, as he put it, "God's country." 
He loves the ocean.


This little plant caught my eye on the beach.
Walking with Daddy towards the beach.
My cup overflows.  


Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!

Enjoyed this post? 
Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

18 comments:

  1. I love San Diego! I recognize the Hotel del Coronado in one of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjohyed San Diego the couple of times we visited. The views of the beach and ocean are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love San diego too! I've been there a couple of times now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your parents are thriving in their new home. It's so good to see those we love after a long absence, isn't it?

    Your little videos are glorious. What a lovely place!

    And all your reads were good reads. Prince Caspian. Bear Town. Girl with the Louding Voice. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back!! I'm so happy you had a great trip! I followed your trip on Instagram, and your joy definitely came through. Qube Crush is GORGEOUS! I'm so glad you had time with your Daddy, nothing better than that. My daughter and I visited San Diego with my Mom when she lived in California, and it certainly is a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only gotten to go to San Diego one time - for my son's MCRD (Marine Corps bootcamp) graduation. We did do a couple of tourist things around town before his flight home for boot leave. The zoo and the wonderful beach. It's a lovely area nature wise. Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad your trip to San Diego went well. I love it there. Even though I live so close (about an hour and a half drive), I rarely go. I am especially glad to hear your parents are doing well. I am glad to see you really liked The Girl with the Louding Voice too. I have been wanting to read Bear Town and am glad you enjoyed it. I love the cover of Christmas by the Book. I hope you are enjoying all your current reads. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects! I went to Rosie's once with my MIL. She lived in Claremont, and I took her there one time when I was down. It was a beautiful store all those years ago. Thanks so much for the pictures of my favorite places in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cup has overflowed and spilled over with joy and love this last little while! How fabulous that all is well with your family in San Diego and that your dad is happy and well. Love all the pretty fabrics that "rolled" into your bag. LOVE your Qube Crush quilt; as does it appears, the bird. What a fun little video of 'his' reaction to your lovely quilt. I too, was waiting for him to walk on it and just rest awhile. Psalms are my go to book for my heart and soul to be refreshed by the beautiful words and thoughts that flow abundantly within. David.....a man who experienced every human emotion and frailty, but always searched for God's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you enjoyed The Girl With the Louding Voice so much. I'm hoping to read it soon. Beartown has been on my list for a long time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and a great time with your dad. Your quilt is beautiful and looks so lovely on the beach. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you had a good trip! I love San Diego, and it looks like you had a wonderful place to stay, too. All those views and walks by the ocean, especially with your parents are priceless. You're doing a great job with your hexie project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many wonderful projects. I also like the posts from Amy at Diary of a Quilter. How wonderful to visit with your family. Once I visited San Diego and walked that same beach. Your photos of San Diego bring back lovely vacation memories. Qube Crush is awesome. All the different blocks are so different yet compliment one another. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a nice trip! And glad you enjoyed Prince Caspian. I really like Narnia. My Book Date Monday is up on my blog today. Happy reading! - Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you had a good trip! I'd love to go back to San Diego someday. It's beautiful and warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for linking this wonderful post to To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all your vacay photos and vids!!! When you finish the K-Team, Animal Instincts by David Rosenfelt, I recommend the Andy Carpenter series by the same author!!! Beautiful photos of your Qube Crush, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great visit! My sister lived in San Diego for years. The beaches are wonderful, but so many people. You showed great restraint at Rosie's. It's a great shop.

    ReplyDelete