Saturday, February 12, 2022

Weekly Word: Two Are Better Than One, Plus My Reading, Stitching and Gratitude This Week!


Hello There!

I hope you all had a fabulous week!  Mine started off rough with a few days of illness, hence this post will be abbreviated as I lost a few days to sleep and recovery.  However, I am fine now, thank God!  It's amazing how quickly we can recover if we listen to our bodies, give it the rest it needs and then take life slowly as we recover!  

Today was a lovely day out with my hubby grocery shopping, a lovely lunch at a local restaurant, Tacos & Shell-ah’s, which I highly recommend if you're in the area!

We went through a stroll in the mall, met some local artisians and found a great deal on a book.  Naturally, I forgot to take pics!  LOL!

Onto this week's post!

Here's is an index should you have a special interest you like to read first!  
The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects. 
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings!      

The Weekly Word

As Valentines' Day approaches, let us remember that not everyone has that someone to help them up in their time of need.  I pray we take a moment to reach out to these that are alone or lonely with a loving phone call or a card.  

Today, I saw a young lady reading at Barnes and Noble and struck up a conversation with her. 

She loves to read, yet pursues her passion on her own totally unaware of that an entire reading community and tools await her via book blogs, Goodreads, Buddy Reads, the free Libby app or paperbackswap.  As we shared and eventually exchanged phone numbers, I couldn't help but be encouraged that she has discovered that there is a literary community to connect with as she continues her literary journey!  

Much the same awareness came to me when I began quilting - others reached out to me, especially at my LQS, and I began to make friends and grow in my craft.  We in the blogging world are blessed as we encourage and support each other in our endeavors and life's trials.    

I am so grateful for all of you, my Ecclesiastes 4:9 friends.  You are my Valentine gift from God!  Blessings to all of you!  And please remember to reach out to someone and encourage them!  Hugs to all!   

Reading Life

Currently Reading




Finished


⭐⭐⭐⭐
Again, David Rosenfelt charmed me with his wit and sarcasm in Animal Instinct.  My favorite character?  His dog, Simon, of course!  😊I wonder, do any of you ever figure out the solution to the mystery in cozy mysteries?  I am still dumfounded when the entire picture is revealed!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Christmas by the Book
 was a touching read that took me a bit to get through as life happens, but I'm so glad I did end up reading it! It just goes to show that one never knows what can happy when we reach out a hand of encouragement - 

we may ourselves be blessed...

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Oh I how loved following Lillian on her journey!  I feel I lost some of the spirit of this book as I read it via audio.  Rooney's book is best read as a hard copy to truly experience Lillian's walk, the life lessons shares as well as her thoughts.  I must highly recommend this  phenomenal work!  

⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Christmas Bookshop is the last of my Christmas reads.  This was a fun read that had me cheering for the heroine and the kiddos!  The characters found their true love for each other and love won out!  Alas, my heart is saddened to say good-bye to this genre...perhaps that's why I drew it out until February!  😂

Stash Report






Yarn Numbers
No changes in my yarn numbers.  I'm at no yarn in/out for 2022.  😊

Fabric numbers

Though I've made progress on a few projects, no fabric has come in /out  this week!  


To Do Tuesday
Last Week's List

1.  Sunday Slow Stitching:  

    - Continue making two hexies a day.  partially done I made these hexies and will continue sewing next week.  

    - Make  progress on my embroidered tea towel! done 

 Oh my dear fellow Slow Stitchers, look what I picked up!  This "pocketmagazine" called Love Embroidery.  It is filled with beautiful, inspiring patterns, full-sized transfers and tons of tips!  Here is the magazine cover, the back and another bonus magazine that came inside.  

2. Crochet: Finish up my granddaughter's afghan. partially done I made progress, but need about 5 more rows....perhaps I'll add a neat border if time allows!

3.  Machine Sewing:  
    - Use the above 5" flannel squares plus the remaining bits and bobs to make this Farmhouse On Point Four Patch Quilt  by Amy at Diary of a Quilter and maybe even a matching pillow for my original flannel quilt.  I still have some white flannel that is begging to be used up so this could be doable.  Partially done. I’ll be adding the white flannel background squares, setting and corner triangles this week fingers crossed!

    - I also plan to participate in Melva's new SAL!  Need to at least prep those fabrics!  I hope you'll join in! not even touched

4. Christmas Sewing List:
- Next up: Holiday mug rugs not even touched either
- my four grandchildren's next softies- two Christmas quilts for my own home (Can you believe I haven't made me even one?!) 😲
- a Christmas table topper
This Week's List
1. Sunday Slow Stitching:
- Stitch up one hexie a day.
- Make progress on my embroidered tea towel!
2. Crochet: Finish up my granddaughter's afghan.
3. Machine Sewing: Finish the Farmhouse On Point Four Patch Quilt by Amy at Diary of a Quilter and maybe even a matching pillow!
- I also plan to participate in Melva's new SAL, Pieces in the Garden. I love her SALs as they are seemingly complicated blocks made sew easy with her fabulous tutorials!
4. Christmas Sewing:
- my flannel quilt +made a bonus baby quilt
- Next up: Holiday mug rugs not even touched either
- my four grandchildren's next softies
- two Christmas quilts for my own home (Can you believe I haven't made me even one?!) 😲
- a Christmas table topper


Gratitude Journal

I'm so grateful to have my own sewing room and am always looking for ways to improve  my space.  While many of you spent January organizing your space, perhaps these easy to implement tips will enhance your final result.  

Here are a couple of websites that will send me, and perhaps yourself, on our way to maximizing and enjoying our creative spaces even more!  

This photo from Seamwork Magazine is certainly inspiring.  

Photo credit:  https://www.seamwork.com/magazine/2019/09/
anatomy-of-a-small-sewing-space

Here are some cool closet sewing spaces.  


Photo credit:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/8-closets-that-arent-
closets-anymore-108171970570.html

I hope you all have a fabulous week!  

Your comments are so appreciated! 

I read each one and will respond by email.

You can also expect a visit from me as well!



  Enjoyed this post? 

Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Here are the blogs I sometimes link up to: 
A Spirit of Simplicity
To Do Tuesday @ Texas Quilt Gal
Pictorial Tuesday @ Peabea's Photos & Scribbles
Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication (Wednesdays)
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation
I Like @ Not Afraid of Color (Thursday)
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict (Friday)

 


17 comments:

  1. I looked into some of the books you are reading and added them to my Goodreads list. Thanks for the recommendations. I like your embroidered towel and the four patch blocks. I hope you are feeling much better. Wait, I thought you said this would be a short post....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy seeing your crafts! You're so good. That tea towel is so cute. I've also read The Christmas Bookshop and Christmas by the books and enjoyed them both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi thoroughly enjoyed this post which I read with great care-did not want to miss anything! Glad you are well again, enjoyed a lovely outing and are keeping up with your reading and stitching. You remind me of myself with a nice array of projects ready at hand to pick up and enjoy. Have a wonderful week now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m glad your illness was only short lived.

    I must admit it’s pretty rare that I don’t solve a mystery long before the book is over, but I still enjoy the process anyway

    Wishing you a great reading week .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you reached out to the young lady reading at Barnes and Noble. I think book people are especially prone to thinking that they are all alone out there, as reading is generally a solitary event. That's why I enjoy blogging so much.

    I enjoyed Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, too. You have to love characters like Lillian.

    I really need to make some time to do a little quilting while it's cool. I have a quilt I've never finished (need to do the extensive hand quilting to finish) and I found a quilt I made for my in-laws long ago that needs to be taken apart and repaired. I must block out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling better! My family took me to my favorite Mexican Restaurant this week too, a place I have been going to for 43 years, a family owned business. Thanks for the book recommendations, I am an avid reader. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear you were not feeling well, but am glad you're better now. Love that you struck up a conversation at B&N and came away with a new book friend! Lillian Boxfish was one of my favorite books a few years ago... still a memorable read. Have a god week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    First time visit for me...I love how you organize your blog post...keeps everything organized and order. I really like your Farmhouse your working on....looks like a really snuggly quilt. Your embroidery piece is really cute. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rest is so important and I think it helps me get better so much faster every time I start feeling bad. The Christmas Bookshop looks wonderful. I just read Bookshop by the Shore by Jenny Colgan and absolutely adored it. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen that magazine...thanks or sharing. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have lots of good books in your posts! I loved The Paris Library, and love Jenny Colgan's books, too, but I don't think I've read that one. Your tea towel is adorable - glad you're making progress on that. I'm thankful for my sewing space, too. Hard to imagine squeezing it all into a closet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the four patch on point quilt top. Amy Smart does some great patterns, I just gave away an on point quilt I did from one of her patterns. Your reading is full, I enjoyed The Paris Library when I read it. Yes indeed I too am blessed by all the book and quilting bloggers. Loved your meet up with that reader.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you are feeling better soon! Thanks or sharing about that magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your story of reaching out to the lady at Barnes and Noble. We do need to be more intentional with our interactions with others. Stitch in Time sounds like a fun story. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well, but I'm glad you are doing better now. Your books look really good. Enjoy them and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sure hope you are feeling better! Yum, Tacos & Shell-ah’s looks wonderful. How sweet to pass on some tips to that young woman. Your hexies are SO pretty!
    Thank you for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete