Pages

Psalm 23:5, Literary Life, Finding Joy

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Hebrews 6:19 - Do You Have An Anchor? Fiber Fun, Literary Living, Finding Joy in... Lunchboxes?

Hello there! 
Thank you for stopping by! While this summer has brought deep challenges for our family and dear friends walking through their own storms, God’s comfort and strength have anchored us through it all.

I had another post ready to go, but God nudged me in a different direction. Today’s brief devotional focuses on anchors before we return to the Psalms next week. My prayer is that these words bring you peace and encouragement today.


Before we jump in, don't miss last week's post reviewing two exceptional upcoming releases: The Train to Santa Fe by Ginger Pinholster and Where Wilted Flowers Bloom by Johanna Rojas Vann (both out August 25th). I don't often look back at my past reviews, but these two special stories are well worth mentioning.  Ms. Pinholster included historical details that were completely new to me, while prizewinning author Rojas Vann offered a deeply comforting message on turning to God in our brokenness.
So, as you enjoy your favorite reading drinks and snacks, let's move on to anchors!

Take good care and, as Daddy used to say, 
"Make memories; it's later than you think."


HERE'S A WORD
You know "The Anchor Holds" was made famous by Ray Boltz, but it was actually written by a pastor, Lawrence Chewningwho was experiencing, in his words, "A Year of Sorrows".  I listened to his story and then his song.  It still brings me great comfort, especially knowing the testimony of the original writer.  Perhaps it will also encourage and comfort you as well.  
All I know about anchors is that it's that heavy thing on a ship that sailors through overboard to keep from being tossed about during storms or rough waters. Oh, but wait!  

A spiritual anchor based on faith in Jesus Christ is extremely powerful!  
Unknown source
We can hold fast because our hope isn't anchored in the shifting wind and waves, but in our unchanging God who has given us roughly countless promises in Scripture to pray through—can we even imagine that? He gives us this eassurance in Hebrews:
We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain...”
— Hebrews 6:19

There is so much more in this passage, but for today, simply rest in knowing that your hope is held by the One who loves you beyond measure.

Please know this:  
You are loved.  You are not alone.  You are being lovingly prayed for.


FIBER FUN
I broke down my "To Dos" into three categories:  Finish, Focus, Prep/make a kit, and Be Kind = Soft Deadlines.  FoF represents the Fields of Fancy BOM, which I'm doing with Liberty of London Tana Lawn fabrics.  

Can you believe I pieced this Jalapeño table topper in less than an hour?  My basic quilting was finished in 15 minutes.  The full tutorial is here at My Cotton Creations.   Honestly, this is a great gift and so easy to make!

Last Week's List
1.  Finish - nothing is planned to be finished
2.  Focus
a.  Grandchild #3's ornament. Done!   I’m making significant progress!   

b.  Bind the quilt Done! I thought black binding would be difficult to work with, but, with good lighting, it's been a pleasure.  I’ve made significant progress this week!

3.   Prepare/make a kit - review the scraps from the Jalapeño Topper to prep the matching placemats.  I’ve picked out a pattern and am eager to sew.   Done!  Now to begin sewing!

4. Be kind = Soft Deadlines - which are good for my mental health!


This Week's goals
1.  Finish - binding the black quilt
2.  Focus
a.  Grandchild #3's ornament
b.  begin my Jalapeño Placemats
c.  attach the binding to the Jalapeño Topper
3.   Prepare/make a kit - nothing for now
4. Be kind = Soft Deadlines - which are good for my mental health!

15 MINUTES TO STICH
I’m joining the Kate's 15 Minutes to Stitch' challenge at Life in Pieces  helps us to develop the habit of daily sewing.  Slowly but surely, it's coming along!  Amazing what we can accomplish in 15 minutes every day!


LITERARY LIFE   
MAILBOX MONDAY - is a gathering place for readers to share books that they added to their shelves or eBook readers the previous week.  Some of these books were recommended by you!  Do you see your reads below?  Thank all of you for sharing!


This Week's Review

***** Corby is unemployed with a secret addiction - which lead to a terrible, accidental tragedy.  The harsh realities of prison life almost undo him.  Yet a kind librarian offers him kindness and even a reason for living - at least temporarily.  How will he survive?  Will his loved ones forgive him?  Can his family be rebuilt?  

This novel reads as a biography, but it is fiction.  However, the way Mr. Lamb wrote the book feels real as he discusses several social issues such as addition, our prison system, and COVID.  

I enjoyed listening The River is Waiting due to manner in which he described the characters, the plot with all its twists and turns, the kindness of the librarian, and the societal issues Mr. Lamb addressed.  It left me with a lot to think about and possibly discuss with fellow readers.  On a side note, I will fall in love with most books in which the librarian is a hero!  Highly Recommend.

FINDING JOY
LeeAnna's I Likea on Thursdays at Not Afraid of Color helps me consistently find the joy in every life.  Here is this week's prompt:  "
what back to school supply would you like to have now as an adult? Fresh new notebooks? markers or new crayons? fat pack of ruled paper? lunchbox? "  
Oh my!  I love to have the metal lunch box!  That would make a fabulous portable sewing kit!  

https://pin.it/4RbNEl9af


Your comments are so appreciated! 
 🎶Here is a list of many of the songs🎶
I've shared on this blog.


Here are the parties I sometimes link up with:  

Sundays

Slow Sunday Stitching @ Kathy's Quilts

Sunday Salon at Readerbuzz

Stitching Stuff at Kate's Life in Pieces

Mondays

Sew and Tell at Melva Loves Scraps

What Are You Reading at The Book Date

Tuesdays

To Do Tuesday posts at Quilt Schmilt

Thursdays

I Like on Thursdays at Not Afraid of Color



No comments:

Post a Comment