Saturday, June 10, 2023

Weekly Word, My Reading Life, Stash Report, To Do Tuesday with a TIP!, Gratitude Journal, Gratitude Journal, FT&BC

 

Hello Everyone!

Thank you so much for visiting today's weekly post!  I'm so glad you're here!  This week has been an active one with having a nice, day long visit with my son, getting my eyes dilated, having an entire day with two grandbabies (the 13 and 8 year old), enjoying an impromptu picnic at the park with all four of them and my daughter, going to a Tea Party at my LQS and getting together with friends.    
Needless to say, some of my To Do Tuesday goals were put on the back burner.  Not to fear though, I do have a very handy tip in my To Do Tuesday section that I believe you will love.  I am also sharing a link to a new-to-me slow stitcher who has won my heart over.  
I've finished some great books and am currently reading some good ones.  My grandbabies and I decided to enter the Summer Reading Program as well!  
It's been a whirlwind, but I've enjoyed every minute of this week.  Please prepare your favorite beverage, pull up a chair and settle in for a great visit!   

UPDATE:  A dear friend has  been  bravely battling breast and lung cancer for the past 6 years and brain cancer for the past 6 months.  She is in ICU as one of the tumors is hemorrhaging and asking for me.  I'm going to the hospital.  Not sure when I'll post again but will try to post on Instagram account.
Prayers please!  Her name is Lisa.  

Here's is an index should you have a special interest you like to read first!

The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, Slow Sunday Stitching projects, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects. 
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings! 
Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer -    Here you will read about my journey and find updates on life after Triple Negative Breast Cancer.  I was diagnosed in November of 2014 and my last day of treatment was in November 2015. 

Weekly Word

God's Timing
Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy, a man of great faith, combined with his suggested plan of having an assigned daily Bible reading has already impacted my life.  I have chosen to read Streams in the Desert by L. B. Cowan in the mornings and The One Year Book of Hymns in the evenings.  (I am forgetting the evening reading, but have placed the book in my hand stitching basket to help me remember.)  I'm also striving to recall the day's reading as well as previous days' lessons throughout the day.  It's amazing how they nurture me as I work and play.  

During the year of treatment for cancer, a friend of mine was living with us.  She arrived before my second chemo treatment.  Though we enjoyed her living with us, I knew everyday she was looking for a home for herself and her husband every day.  
Her witness impacted me greatly - and without her knowledge.  You see, she never lost hope as she diligently searched for a home.  She would simply say, "It's all in God's hands and His timing." She had perfect peace.  I was amazed at her attitude.  
Guess when she found a home?
Almost a year later:  The very week of my last treatment.
Yup.  The very week of my last treatment she found a home.
God's timing.
Because they lived with us during that time, my husband only took minimal leave from work.  He knew I was in good hands - and I was.  Between my children, my husband, friends and this couple, God had us covered.  
As I sought for verses on Got Questions to encourage you, the popular ones came up such as Isaiah 40:31Isaiah 40:31Romans 8:28 and of course, Jeremiah 29:11.  
Then I wondered specifically about women who waited on the LORD and wow!   Faith Eury Cho wrote an deep and thought provoking article titled "The Power of a Waiting Woman on the blog Propel Women!  

I was reminded of Sarah, Ester, Rebekah, Rachel, Samson's mother (I didn't know she was nameless!),  and learned about a prophetess named Anna.  She referenced Psalm 33 and my heart raced as I read it.     

17A horse is a vain hope for salvation;
even its great strength cannot save.
18Surely the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear Him,
on those whose hope is in His loving devotion
19to deliver them from death 
and keep them alive in famine.
20Our soul waits for the LORD;
He is our help and our shield.
21For our hearts rejoice in Him,
since we trust in His holy name.
22May Your loving devotion rest on us, O LORD,
as we put our hope in You.
Psalm 33:17-22

Let us be faithfully waiting on our LORD's timing as we remember He is indeed our help and shield.  Let us rejoice in the knowledge that we can trust in His holy name!  Right now, as you're reading this, say it out loud, "I trust You, Abba Father!  I trust You!"  Say it all through your trial and watch your faith grow!  Hugs to you all!

My Reading Life

Currently Reading



Finished Reading

"A timeless classic is reborn! First published in 1948, and long out of print, Tomorrow Will Be Better is a heartwarming story of love and marriage from Betty Smith, the beloved author of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
Set in the Williamsburg and Bushwick sections of Brooklyn in the 1920s, Tomorrow Will Be Better is the story of Margy Shannon—shy, eager, joyfully optimistic—and her search for something better from life than the hard misery of poverty in which she lives.
All Margy's parents have ever known is an unrewarding life of poverty, pain, and hard work—a life that has ultimately worn them down. But Margy, young and just out of school, still holds steadfast to an unshakable hopefulness and believes a better life is possible. Her goals are simple enough—to find a husband she loves, have children, and live in a nice home—one where her children will never know the terror of want, the need to hide from quarreling parents, and the dread of unjust punishment. And when she meets Frankie Malone, she thinks at last her dreams might be fulfilled.
Rich with the flavor of its Brooklyn background, and the joys and heartbreak of family life, Tomorrow Will Be Better is told with a simplicity, tenderness, and humor that only Betty Smith could write." - Goodreads
Tomorrow Will Be Better is another phenomenal read by Betty Smith!  She writes with compassion, understanding and wisdom.  Her books continue to touch my heart.  The books ends with hope.  Highly recommend.
"While January snow falls outside in Miracle Springs, North Carolina, Nora Pennington is encouraging customers to cozy up indoors with a good book. Even though the shop and her bibliotherapy sessions keep Nora busy during the day, her nights are a little too quiet—until Deputy Andrews pulls Nora into the sci-fi section and asks her to help him plan a wedding proposal.
His bride-to-be, Hester, loves Little Women, and Nora sets to work arranging a special screening at the town’s new movie theater. But right before the deputy pops the question, Nora makes an unsettling discovery—someone has mutilated all her store’s copies of The Scarlet Letter, slicing angrily into the pages wherever Hester Prynne’s name is mentioned.
The coincidence disturbs Nora, who’s one of the few in Miracle Springs who knows that Hester gave up a baby for adoption many years ago. Her family heaped shame on her, and Hester still feels so guilty that she hasn’t even told her future husband. But when a dead man is found on a hiking trail just outside town, carrying a rare book, the members of the Secret, Book, and Scone Society unearth a connection to Hester’s past. Someone is intent on bringing the past to light, and it’s not just Hester’s relationship at stake, but her life…" - Goodreads
**** Another win for Ellery Adams as we return to Miracle Springs and her group of friends. Recommend.
Slow Read

Stash Report
I'm almost finished with the varigated granny squares for my Fall Afghan, so I purchased some more gold yarn to continue the last set of squares for this project as well as for the border!  I'm on the final stretch!
My fabric numbers haven't changed at all.  I'm hoping by next week to see some more fabric usage!  Being that most of my finished quilts were 2022 UFO's that only needed the binding, I've decided to raise my 2023 fabric usage goal to 100 yards.  

To Do Tuesday

I will be needing some fabric markers similar to the famous Alphabitties  and found these cute DIY ones  at The Lucy Bird!  I just may make them to keep my fabric pieces organized!  They'll make use of my scrapbooking supplies and be functional.  
Then, to up my game, I thought about putting my new badge making skills   (remember my kitty bookmark?)to use and making badges into fabric markers!  Oh.....I'm in trouble!  I feel a squirrel coming on!😉
Last Week's List
1.  Slow Stitching
Binding - Begin binding my Step It Up (I think that's the name of the pattern) quilt.  Done!   I'm almost finished!    
- Bee Humble - Make progress on the hand embroidery of Section Five   Done!  Though it was just a tiny bit of progress as I continue my binding goal.  A friend loaned me this interesting quilting hoop which should make hand stitching on this now large piece easier, I hope!  After reading this tutorial on how to use it, I'll be trying it out later today (Sunday).  Your ideas and tips are welcome!
I also started Block Two of my Promise Quilt.  I started this way back in about 2014.  I wanted to hand embroider the promises of God in the center of a square.  My quilting teacher/friend suggested this block and, after I made all the blocks, it became a UFO.  Now it is coming back to life!  It's even helping me memorize Scripture!  LOL!


2.  Crochet
Fall Granny Square Afghan:  continue making another 16-patch row by making the 16 gold squares and then start to join the last row!  Done!  I even bought what may be the last skein of gold yard to finish the squares and begin joining them!
3.  Machine Sewing
One Gift a Month Challenge (Day's Filled with Joy):  Stitch up the bowl cozies (May's gift) from  one of the several options Joy at Days Filled with Joy offered!  Not Done.  I've cut out my fabric and it's ready to be stitched up.  
- Now that the Road Trip Quilt is a flimsy, my focus will be on the Fall into a Quilt UFO. Next week I'm hoping to kit a few blocks to get this quilt finished.  Done and over baked!  I went ahead and made kits for six blocks!  

Now for the aforementioned tip!  
A friend had gifted me a bunch of dry erase pockets which I shared with my daughter.  She suggested using them as shown below.  
I cut, labeled and stored each pattern piece as well as the pattern for each block in one pocket.  
Then I hung them on my pegboard.  
I still had some extra pockets...hmmm...
We all have those patterns we want to make "someday", right?
I've gathered those together and placed each one in a pocket.  
Here's my daughter's suggestion:
Hang them on this thread stand like this:  
Now I have my blocks in kits and organized
and my "dream list" of projects I want to do
all ready to go. 
I took it one step further by putting the current week's goals
on this stand my daughter gave me.  
Now, whenever I have a chance, I can pull the pocket  and stitch up a block/make progress on a project.  
4.  Machine Embroidery 
- Stitch up the mug rugs Not done.  Instead I had my eyes dilated for an up coming surgery and then had a day with the grandbabies!  
- Prep the next machine embroidery UFO project Done!  I'll share it next week!  

This Week's Goals will be extremely abbreviated as we get to have our grandbabies for three days!  Then we are taking a day trip to the mountains!  
1.  Slow Stitching - Hello to my fellow Slow Stitchers!  Have you heard of Emma at the Vintage Sewing Box?  I highly recommend you check out this sweet young lady's blog and YouTube channel. Her projects are lovely, her demeanor is calm and her tips are awesome!  
- prep and begin stitching Joy's Block 4 of the Teacup Critters BOM
Binding - Finish binding my Step It Up (I think that's the name of the pattern) quilt.     
- Bee Humble - Make progress on the hand embroidery of Section Five   
2.  Crochet
Fall Granny Square Afghan:  continue making another 16-patch row by finishing the variegated squares and starting the 16 gold squares
3.  Machine Sewing
One Gift a Month Challenge (Day's Filled with Joy):  Stitch up the bowl cozies
- Start turning my Fall into a Quilt UFO in to a flimsy.   
4.  Machine Embroidery 
- Stitch up the mug rugs
- Prep the next machine embroidery UFO project   

Gratitude Journal

the song
the story behind the song
the verse



 
 


This Week's Moments of Gratitude
1.  A happy morning with my two youngest grandchildren playing basketball (my husband), having a simple lunch of soft shell bean burritos and a salad and one of them taught me how to draw a Star Wars space ship!  
2. My husband continues to improve after dental surgery.   
3.  What a lovely day I had with my precious grandsons!  
Since my fur baby, Mia's, passing, Chico is still sleeping with us.  
He does get cold with the fan,  
so he has found a way to stay cozy - 
under our comforter at the foot of our bed.  
Kitty came into snuggle this week
while I was embroidering.  

Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer

I thought I'd share a few books that were immensely helpful after my diagnosis.  When God and Cancer Meet by Lynn Eib is a book of the stories of God meeting people as they go through their journey with cancer.  I read it sometime in 2015 as I was undergoing treatment for cancer. Not all stories ended with the patient surviving, but did indeed show the reality of cancer and how God meets us at the point of our need
Praying Through Cancer by Susan Sorensen and Laura Geist was my devotional during my treatment for cancer.  This is one book I make sure to have several copies on hand to pass onto to others.  

Enjoyed this post? 

Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!


Here are some blogs I sometimes link up to!

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict

 

15 comments:

  1. I need to share your books with my friend who is nearing the end of her cancer journey. Thanks for sharing them.

    I really like both your Bee Humble quilt and your Promise quilt. I don't know how you get so much sewing done so quickly, but it encourages me to take another try at the queen-sized quilt I started for my parents for their 50th anniversary way back in 2000 or so.

    I'm glad to see how much you enjoyed the Betty Smith book. I think I'd like to look for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your friend, Lisa. I hope that you are able to be a source of comfort for her. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cancer takes too many people including my grandmother, mom, oldest sister, and a nephew. My twin brother was recently diagnosed with kidney cancer but the drs. said that he's pretty sure he got all of it out. Now it's a 5 year waiting game. Praying for your friend.

    Sorry to hear about Mia! Our pets become our family and losing one is very hard. Chico and Kitty are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart and prayers go out to your friend Lisa! Your story of a friend who lived with you while undergoing treatment is faith inspiring. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many prayers to your friend Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is always encouraging. Thanks. I use the Bible app by YouVersion both morning and evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts and prayers go out to your dear friend, Lisa. I know you will be bring her comfort. How wonderful that you been spending time with the grandbabies . It is so heartwarming to hear that ya'll will be in the Summer Reading program. What a wonderful tip on the dry erase pockets- cute and clever. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do hope your friend will experience some peace and comfort as she goes through this awful illness. Nice she asked for you. Isn't that Ellery Adams series so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your post...I love your pockets though ... much better than the zippered project pockets people make... I may borrow this! Do you have a fave place you get your clear vinyl?
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Scripture/Promise quilt blocks. Thanks for sharing in Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm praying for Lisa. I enjoy reading through all your textile endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good progress on your projects! Thanks for the stitchy link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers for Lisa!!!

    Thanks for telling us about the book by Betty Smith! A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my all-time faves so I definitely want to read Tomorrow Will Be Better.

    ReplyDelete