Sunday, March 6, 2022

Health Update + Weekly Word: Trusting in God. Plus My Reading, Stitching and Gratitude This Week!



 Hello There, 
Thank you so much for visiting and writing comments of encouragement and prayers regarding my last post!  I've hesitated to share my health issues as I want to encourage others and not appear to be complaining. Kathryn's comment made me realize that by sharing, I have the opportunity to be prayed for by my loving blogging community!  Secondly, I remembered the origins of this blog and thus, have decided to remain true to myself and continue to provide updates on my continued journey with Triple Negative Breast Cancer. 
That said, I've added another link to my Table of Contents very appropriately titled Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer to keep you posted! (See below)  
Happy reading and, my precious blog familia, thank you for your prayers and support!   
Here's is an index should you have a special interest you like to read first!  
The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects. 
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings!    
Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer - Here you will find updates on my post-treatment journey with Triple Negative Breast Cancer. 

The Weekly Word

This week I've been learning to rest - at least to rest my knees.  I've been (yet again) surprised how rest heals our bodies and reduces pain.  Why is it I get so stubborn and keep pushing my body when all it is crying for is rest?  Surely, I am not alone in this habit?
Like dear Puddleglum (See My Reading Life below), my spirit soared and was free to rest after God reminded me of Psalm 23, particularly verses two and three.  

Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

1The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

2He makes me lie down in green pastures,

He leads me beside quiet waters,

3He refreshes my soul.

He guides me along the right paths

for his name’s sake.

4Even though I walk

through the darkest valley, a

I will fear no evil,

for You are with me;

Your rod and Your staff,

they comfort me.

5You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

6Surely your goodness and love will follow me

all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord

forever.

Here are various Scriptures to remind us (me) to rest and give our bodies a chance to heal.  
My dear Reader, do you need rest?  Take it, take it my friend so that
1.  You will lack nothing.
2.  You will be refreshed.
3.  You will be on the right paths.
4.  You will fear no evil.
5.  You will be followed by God's goodness and love all the days of your life.
6.  You will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
7.  You will have peace.
8.  You will dwell in safety.
9.  You will not be afraid.
10.  You will have a sweet sleep.
There you have it.  Ha!  There I have it:  ten reasons to rest out (my) bodies!  
Might you be able to share your favorite Scriptures about resting in the comments?  I hope so!  

My Reading Life

Currently Reading




Finished
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐  The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis is another read for my Narnia21 Challenge in which we are reading through The Chronicles of Narnia series.  I enjoyed listening to this book as I slow stitched.  What stood out to me was Puddleglum's speech to the witch queen of the underworld.  She has convinced the children that there is no Narnia, but he manages to declaring his deep faith in a deeply moving speech that bears repeating: 

“One word, Ma’am,” he said, coming back from the fire; limping, because of the pain. “One word. All you’ve been saying is quite right, I shouldn’t wonder. I’m a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won’t deny any of what you said. But there’s one more thing to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things-trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stand by the play world. I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Aslan to lead it. I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we’re leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that’s a small loss if the world’s as dull a place as you say.” - From The Silver Chair, Chapter 12

And this is how I feel about Heaven and Jesus.  You go, Puddleglum!  

 
⭐⭐⭐⭐  Eva Gates wrote a cute cozy mystery in Reading Up a Storm about a library that is actually in a lighthouse!  On top of that, our protagonist, a librarian, lives upstairs!  Oh, what a dream - to live in a library!  I enjoyed the book and was pleasantly surprised to find that I had narrowed down the suspect to a few choices - and was correct!  I must be getting better at my investigatory skills!  😅



Stash Report

Yarny Numbers - there has been no change this week.

Fabric numbers - I’ve included numbers for my finished hexies as well as the mug rugs. I include numbers for my quilts when they’re completely finished.




To Do Tuesday

Last Week's List

1. Sunday Slow Stitching:
- Stitch up one hexie a day. Done! I was multitasking-machine embroidering my mug rugs as I worked on my hexagons :-)
- Make progress on my embroidered tea towel!  Finish stitching with yellow.  Done! I got more complex than I thought. I’ll still be adding some yellow to the bonnet’s band. 


2. Crochet: Finish one skein of blue yarn for this afghan.  Done!


3. Machine Sewing: Practice the scant 1/4" seam and piece Row 1 of Melva's SAL, Done.  The row one is not finished, I’m still going to call this done as I accomplished so much towards the goal.
I was able to figure out how to do a scant one quarter inch seam on my Featherweight. It seems inappropriate machine to use for this SAL. 

I prepped all the blocks for rows one and two, As well as finishing three blocks for row one.
I also finished this final, scrappy flannel quilt top. All three flannel quilts have been dropped off to my LAQ.  


4. Christmas Sewing List:  Holiday mug rugs Done!  I’m really pleased with how they came out.



This Week's List
1. Sunday Slow Stitching:
- Stitch up one hexie a day. 
- Make progress on my embroidered tea towel! 
2. Crochet: Finish 1/2 skein of blue yarn for this afghan.  
3. Machine Sewing: Stitch up 6 blocks of Row 1 for  Pieces in the Garden
4. Christmas Sewing List:  Prep my four grand children’s 2022 Christmas softies
Next Up:  
- two Christmas quilts for my own home (Can you believe I haven't made me even one?!) 😲
- a Christmas table topper

Gratitude Journal

I am so grateful for my blogging community's support, prayers and the inspirational posts they share!  
I am so grateful for my family's caregiving, love, acceptance, sense of humor and encouragement.  
I am so grateful to my LORD and Savior, Jesus Christ for giving me the opprotunity to learn and grow - though the road is bumpy at times - He provided such loving people who hold my arms up during the battle.  
This oh-so upbeat song got my foot tapping and my heart singing with hope!
Though I will be looking for a tasty gluten free bread (any suggestions?), this one is so delicious!  
This post started is visual for my transition 
to a Mediterranean Diet.  

I found this site for making my own salad dressings!  (sorry, no photo!😉)

And check out this video for an easy Monkey Wrench (also known as Churn Dash) block!

My “cloffice” -  an office  in a closet :-) is pretty much done. I’m sure I’ll be making changes as I working it over time.



Mia and Kitty are making friends - at least a bit more....

As I stay home and rest my body, I'm learning I can find so much to be grateful for that I can find without even leaving home.  God is good indeed!

Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer

During my oncology appointment I received fantastic news as well as information!  I can now, finally after 6 years, resume annual vs. bi-annual exams.  This is cause for a huge celebration and many praises to our Lord and Savior!  
After studying my labs and MRI, she believes my severe back pain is caused by my irregular gait which in turn is caused by arthritic knees.  (Sort of like the Farmer in the Dell!)  She is confident that knee surgery will enhance my quality of life by reducing pain in my knees and back.  She also told me that if the need arises, she would see my surgeon, who specializes in knee surgeries.  
My oncologist explained that during my treatment in 2015, I received massive doses of steroids every two weeks for six months to combat the side effects of chemotherapy.  Though I survived Triple Negative Breast Cancer, the long-term results of the steroids are joint and bone degeneration. 
Instead of trying to go on my beloved walks, she suggested I start a chair exercise routine to strengthen my upper body until my knees are healthy again.  Knowledge gives understanding, power and strength to continue the healing process.  
Now I understand the origin of my skeletal pain.  I also can accept that the pre-cancer me is gone and I can start accepting the new me, which includes slowing down - a bit.  After consulting with my medical team, I am transitioning into the Mediterranean Diet, which is know to be heart healthy and anti-inflammatory.   Furthermore, I am not as discouraged and my faith has grown exponentially as I remembered Psalm 23.    
Going forward,
1.  I see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday the third,
2.  I'm not sure what this blog will look like as I go into surgery/recovery, but I'll find a way to keep you posted, and 
3.  I'll continue to post on my health and journey as a Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor in hopes of encouraging past, current and future Cancer Warriors and their caregivers.

Enjoyed this post? 
Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!


Here are some blogs I sometimes link up to!
A Spirit of Simplicity
Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict (Friday)

21 comments:

  1. I love your tea towel stitching! You are making lots of progress on many projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good news from your Oncologist. I hope you're able to get the knee surgery soon, I've know many people who have had it and now live a more active life. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your positivity, drive and faith are so inspirational. Those things mean so much when one faces a health challenge. Yes, rest is important ; sometimes we forget how much we need it with all that we want to accomplish . Your projects that you have been working on are so pretty. I adore the tea towel and your hexis. I wish you a very blessed week. Happy stitching. Prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing what you're going through and how you're moving on and working on things. It's very inspirational! I also love seeing your sewing and other projects! I need to reread the Narnia series. I used to read it over and over when I was a kid, haven't read in so long though! Have a great week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Your embroidery piece is really beautiful...and I
    really like your blue afghan. I really, really like
    your storage closet...what a great idea. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects you are working on. Glad you have a reason for your skeletal pain, and a new routine to follow. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, so glad to hear your good news!! God is so good! Reading up a Storm sounds good, is it a clean read (no curse words/explicit scenes? I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cindy! I couldn't respond by email, so I'm hoping you'll see this. Reading Up A Storm is indeed a clean read! Happy Reading!

      Delete
  8. I see Infinite Country among your current reads. Hope you're enjoying it... intense and a bit disturbing in parts, but it was one of my favorites last year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Look how many projects you finish when you sit down and rest. :)
    Gluten free bread try Rudi's sandwich or ezekiel. Spoiler alert, they are pricey. Chair workouts try Carolyn Jordan, Donovan Green or Body Project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying your medical needs are met and that your knee problems are fixed. Your stitching is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading Up a Storm sounds delightful.
    I’m glad to hear you are feeling more confident about dealing with your current issues, and that the oncologist has been so helpful.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rest is something I need to get better about. I tend to push myself until I'm exhausted and sick. Then I get angry at myself for being in pain. Good luck with your projects! They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're so optimistic amidst the changes--super! Psalm 23 is classic for me to turn to, also. Your cloffice is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that you are sharing your health concerns with us. It is wonderful to be able to pray for you.

    You have already finished The Silver Chair? I'm just getting started. I'm glad you liked it so much.

    I love seeing all your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your stitching. Happy reading and take care

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful news about your health! Isn't it nice to have body concerns/pains explained and simple solutions offered, instead of more medications? I'm happy for you.
    Lovely start on your circular afghan. Yay for you on the Christmas mug rugs and starting on your grands' softies. Yes by all means start some Christmas quilts for you! Your cloffice looks like a good space!
    Thank you for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was such a great read and very motivating. I had to search triple negative breast cancer just to see what it is. Sounds like you are in remission? All my prayers for your knee surgery.
    I am exhausted and need that rest you share. I don't know how to get it :( I've been at my mom's for 5 weeks after her stroke. I have my oldest daughter with leukemia and not knowing when the bone marrow transplant will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find a way to email you back, so I'm responding here hoping you see this! :) Thank you for taking the time to research Triple Negative Breast Cancer! My oncologist "hit me with everything" he could as my chances of survival were 70%. Yes! As of two weeks ago I am declared in remission! The effects of chemotherapy drugs and steroids remain and I'm learning to deal with them. It sounds like you have an overflowing plate between your mama and your daughter! I'm so sorry you and your loved ones are going through such a trial! Please take care and know that you and yours were prayed for tonight!

      Delete
  18. Lovely blog! You are so creative and I love everything about your blog. You are so strong and a warrior. Thank you for leaving a lovely comment on my blog. I am following your lovely blog via email. Sending you prayers and love and peace. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the mug rugs. I should venture making some. You're such a busy person with all your pretty crafts. Thanks for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete