Sunday, April 23, 2023

Weekly Word: Ephesians 3:1 + Books, Stitches and Gratitude!


 Hello There, 

Thank you for stopping by!  This has been a productive week all around!  I hope you'll enjoy reading about the Paul's amazing grace while imprisoned, the books I've been reading and the fiber arts coming to life!  
We have been enjoying our grand-doggy this week while my daughter and family have been on vacation.  She is an amazing little pup that keeps our Chico in line!
Our garden is coming rejoicing with us during this wonderful Spring weather! 
So, pull up a cozy chair and enjoy your favorite refreshments as you read this week's post!  

Here's is an index should you have a special interest you like to read first!  
The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, Slow Sunday Stitching projects, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects. 
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings!    
 

The Weekly Word

Isn’t amazing that Paul these four letters, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians and Philemon, from prison?  Even more incredible is that the majority of these letters are letters of encouragement.

 Written. By. A. Man. Who. Was. In. Prison.

These prisons were nothing like today’s prisons.  They were miserable.  

How do did Paul maintain such faith while imprisoned in such a dismal environment? 

In my opinion, it’s all a matter of perspective.
Unquestionably he knows he is imprisoned – no denial there. 
Undeniably, he knows Nero put him in his physical prison.
However, no one can take him away from his spiritual prison, one he gladly claims.  

Paul not only joyfully claims to be a prisoner of Christ Jesus, he also gives the reason for his joyful imprisonment:  for the sake of the Gentiles and seeing them saved by the grace of Jesus Christ! 

Isn’t that amazing?  His focus remains on Jesus and bringing others to His Lord and Savior of whom he is a joyful prisoner!

What are we prisoners of?  Greed?  Lust?  Depression?  Drugs/alcohol?  Gambling? 

Whatever is our prison, we can pray to become healthy prisoners of Christ Jesus so that whatever our circumstances are, we will remain focused on Jesus, the healer and redeemer of all mankind. And guess what?  We can pray the same for our imprisoned loved ones.  They can have this same victory. 
Amen?

My Reading Life

Currently Reading



Finished Reading

"Roberto is a young left-wing South American journalist who receives an ominous phone call: leave the country in ten days, or die. He has every intention of leaving, as soon as he follows a lead on a major story developing in the jungle. The book follows him on his perilous journey into the heart of darkness in pursuit of his story. Unknowingly, Roberto is headed toward a confrontation with an evil darker than he could possibly have imagined."
**** Roberto to the Dark Tower Came by Tom Epperson is a book I would recommend as it highlights the horrific challenges facing many South American countries.  Epperson includes reality in his writing to include triggers:  language, violence, brutality, rape, torture.  The ending is...abrupt and very appropriate for this topic.  Recommend.

"Devastated by the sudden death of her mother—a quiet, loving and intensely private Southern seamstress called Miss Mabel, who overflowed with pearls of Ozarks wisdom but never spoke of her own family—Sutton Douglas makes the impulsive decision to pack up and head north to the Michigan resort town where she believes she’ll find answers to the lifelong questions she’s had about not only her mother’s past but also her own place in the world.

Recalling Miss Mabel’s sewing notions that were her childhood toys, Sutton buys a collection of buttons at an estate sale from Bonnie Lyons, the imposing matriarch of the lakeside community. Propelled by a handful of trinkets left behind by her mother and glimpses into the history of the magical lakeshore town, Sutton becomes tantalized by the possibility that Bonnie is the grandmother she never knew. But is she? As Sutton cautiously befriends Bonnie and is taken into her confidence, she begins to uncover the secrets about her family that Miss Mabel so carefully hid, and about the role that Sutton herself unwittingly played in it all."
***** The Edge of Summer by Viola Shipman is a well-crafted story that shows the growth of a young Sutton as she discovers her legacy and herself - one of my favorite themes.  The pearls of wisdom sprinkled throughout the story added depth and food for thought.  Shipman developed each of the likeable characters well, dropping bread crumbs along the way until the interesting conclusion.  I was left with the joy of seeing eyes opened and kindness victorious.  Definitely recommend.  

"Featherweight history at your fingertips. Enjoy an entertaining look at the history of the Featherweight sewing machine. Expanded third edition updated with the latest research. Packed with photos, stories, and handy information. Learn to date and troubleshoot your machine. A fun read for quilters, Featherweight owners, and history buffs."

**** Featherweight 221 - The Perfect Portable by Nancy Johnson-Srebro is definitely written for Featherweight enthusiasts who are students of the history of this fabulous machine.  Johnson-Srebro included well-researched details, photographs as well as her thought processes.  As a Featherweight owner, I especially enjoyed the personal accounts she shared from various Featherweight owners.  
The details were a bit much for me, but probably perfect for Featherweight historians.  Her chapter on troubleshooting potential issues with featherweights was most interesting. I am looking to purchase this book as this chapter is a phenomenal resource.  Definitely Recommend.  

Slow Read
I'm finding that the more I read in Spanish, my comprehension is increasing and my fluency is improving.  

Stash Report

Yarny Numbers
No change in yarny numbers, but I am making progress on my Fall Granny Square Afghan!  (see below!)
Fabric numbers:  Yup I did it, I bought fabric!  I've run low on reds and greens, but would like to make more table runners or toppers, perhaps even more Crazy Christmas Trees (see below!).  So, I'm welcoming 3 yards of fabrics into my sewing room.  Come to think of it, I have a ton of low volume....why did I pick up these $1.50 "rubber band" fat quarters?  👀  

This purchase negated my fabric usage, but I'm sure it will soon get stitched up soon.  

To Do Tuesday

Last Week's List

1.  Slow Stitching
- Bee Humble - Attach Block Four to the main square. Partially finished.  The change in the black background fabric is a result of playing with the editing features on my phone.  :) I'm about halfway finished stitching the applique onto the main project.  It's been healing to slowly return to my regular activities.  
2.  Crochet
make progress on my Fall Granny Square afghan Done!  I've made progress and loved seeing it on our queen-size bed. 

3.  Machine Sewing:  
- $15 Sampler - Finish the last block
Done!  If I'm not mistaken, next month we'll be putting the quilt top together!  

- Finish the table runner Done!  This pattern, Crazy Christmas Trees by Karla Alexander, published by Cut Loose Press.  The instructions were a bit unclear, but thankfully I found this  phenomenal this video by Jill at Fabric Gardens in California.  I am also grateful to a dear friend who loaned me her Spider Web ruler so I could try it out.  Alexander's pattern is very forgiving and I think this turned out well.  I quilted it with a simple serpentine stitch and used a mini serpentine stitch to machine bind it.  
Sadly, some of the reds - which were scraps so I didn't prewash them - bled into the beige.  It's in the wash now.  🤞🤞
Before washing

I found this helpful process at Erica's blog, Confessions of a Homeschooling Mom.  I"m in the middle of the process, but thus far, it seems to be helping.   I'll post a picture on Instagram later this week and on next week's post with the results.   

This Week's List 
1.  Slow Stitching
- Bee Humble - Hand embroider the details on Months Four and Five.  This will probably take two weeks to complete.
2.  Crochet
- crochet and join together a third 16 patch square 
3.  Machine Sewing:  
a.  Some of the fabric that bled on my Christmas table topper is also in the cut fabrics for my Christmas Tumbler Quilt and Table Topper.  Thank God I'd only stitched up one row of my quilt!   Consequently, this week I will be replacing them.  Hopefully by next week, I’ll be ready to start stitching these projects together. 
 
b.  Prep two blocks for one of my UFO's, the Fall Into a Quilt project.  Thus far, I've made 3 out of twelve blocks.  All the information is still on Snow Days Quilting.  
 
 
 c.  “Learn and Discover” is a term I learned in this month series of Mastery Classes for my Bernina. Every month they offer "Embroidery Academy" and this month's class we'll be learning how to stitch up patches.  A quick online search revealed that patches are a hot new trend. I’m so excited!

Gratitude Journal

The song
the story behind the song
the verse
The Prayer
Lord, let us find hope on our journey.


Moments of Gratitude this week
- peaceful mornings working in my garden 
- a wonderful Thursday Bible Study 
- lunch with new friends.
- my friends at Be Sew Creative - they are a fabulous group of ladies who bless me every time I visit!

Did you have some moments of gratitude you'd like to share in the comments?  


Enjoyed this post? 
Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!


Here are some blogs I sometimes link up to!
To Do Tuesday @ Carol's Quilt Schmilt
I Like @ Not Afraid of Color (Thursday)
The Loop Scoop @ Moogly and Petals to Picots (Thursdays)

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict



10 comments:

  1. It helps me a lot to hear others' stories, like Danny Gokey's. Thank you.

    I think it's wonderful that you are finding your fluency in reading in Spanish is getting better as you read through that slow Reyna Grande read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy Christmas tree in red is amazing!!!! And what a beautiful job you are doing on your crochet. I love the colors. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a good week! I enjoyed The Hideaway and hope you do as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crazy tree runner is awesome. I hope you can fix the bleeding. I had this happen on a quilt even though I prewashed all the fabrics and the dawn/bathtub soak worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Christmas tree runner! I've made a few blocks but haven't finished with them. And Amen! to Truth and Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little bees are very sweet ;) I love the trees too - I hope the bleeding will not show too much - and the Fall Into a Quilt blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been so busy! I would love to read the Featherweight 221 book, but it is a bit pricey for me right now. And I love love love your Bee appliques!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoying seeing what all you're up to! That is mind boggling about Paul being so encouraging while he himself was in prison. Love seeing your bees and your wonky Christmas trees!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're almost finished with the Alphabet Soup Challenge and it's only (almost) May? That's impressive! Looks like a nice variety of books recently - I understand needing to change your reading when you're struggling with challenges.

    Hope you enjoy your books this week -

    Sue
    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of progress! Can't go wrong with stripes and polka dots.

    ReplyDelete