Saturday, November 19, 2022

Weekly Word: Bitter or Better? + Books, Stitches and Gratitude!



 Hello There, 

We just got home from a wonderful visit to San Diego!  We stayed with my sister and brother-in-law.  Days were spent with Mama and Daddy, who are doing well, memory issues of course, but they have the same joy for life as always.  Sometimes we laughed so hard my tummy hurt!  We spent evenings with my sister and her husband.  Their home overlooks the San Diego Bay and beautiful downtown.  Though it was excruciating to walk away from my parents, my heart is filled with joy at their overall improved health since relocating there.  It was such a lovely visit. 

I’ve been a bit frustrated with Blogger as their spellcheck seems to have disappeared.  I’m now writing my posts on Word and copying them onto Blogger.  How do you all deal with this issue?

We got home just in in time to babysit our grandkids for a few days and then to enjoy the whirlwind of Thanksgiving preparations!  I’m looking forward to inviting my granddaughter to help me! 

Please enjoy your tea, wine, coffee or whatever is your pleasure as you read this week post!

Here's is an index should you have a special interest you like to read first!  

The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects. 
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings!    

The Weekly Word

Lately, I've been pondering the question: Will I become bitter or better throughout this challenge?
Many years ago, I heard this question during a sermon from a pastor who had lost a child.  As he spoke, he certainly had my attention.  Years ago, I would have chosen bitterness over becoming better every day of the week.  After this sermon, I pondered my decision.  
Did I want to become like others I knew who chose bitterness?  
Do you?
I began to search the Scriptures and this one really changed my life:
When Paul writes the word, "but", I pay attention.  Here he states, "But one thing I do," so I paid close attention.  He said he forgets what is behind and strains towards what is ahead.  At the time, I didn't understand the rest of the verse, only that I had a choice to forget my past and literally strain towards what God has for me in my future.  
What freedom I began to experience as I put my energy toward straining towards God's plan for me, a plan to give me a hope and a future, rather than bitterly wallowing in my past or trials.
It was a process.  I needed time to change and grow.  God was patient with me.  
Now, most of the time, I chose to become better, straining toward my future with Him.  It's so liberating!  
Would you join me on this journey of moving forward better rather than bitter? 

My Reading Life

During our visit to San Diego, we visited a locally and Latina owned bookstore in Barrio Logan, Libélula, which means “dragonfly”.  We spent about an hour and half there and I purchased these books.  I look forward to visiting Libélula again and again and again....

I purchased the books below for my grandchildren.  
Our visit to Chicano Park, 
the site of the largest collection of outdoor murals 
in the United States, 
was interesting touched my heart.  

Currently Reading

I'll probably be restarting Chasing Fireflies as I've been away from it for too long and have forgotten much of the plot!  
Finished

*** The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill was a confusing read as reality and fantasy seemed to merge.  The last sentence brought it all together for me – I think!  What saved the day for this read was the fabulous narrator, Katherine Littrell. 

*****Bibliophile Diverse Spines by Jamise Harper & Jane Mount was one of the books I picked up at Libélula.  It is a definite 5 star read and perfect for those of us who are wanting to read more diversely.  I’ve read a few of the books mentioned and look forward to reading more of them.  I learned so much by simply reading this one book!  Highly recommend!

Stash Report

Fabric & Yarny Numbers - as we have been traveling, there have been no changes in yarn/fabric numbers!  Lots of progress on hand work though!  

To Do Tuesday

Last Week's List  is pretty much the same as last week's list.   

1.  Slow Stitching   
a.  Make progress on the 2/4 tea towels! NOT DONE!
b.  Finish prepping block two of the Bee Humble Sew Along. DONE!  I also managed to get some stitching done on it!  
2. Machine Sewing:  
a.  Stitch up this month's blocks for the $15 Sampler Quilt from Bee Sew Creative. I'm a bit nervous about these as it's been a while since I've done paper piecing!  NOT DONE as I was in San Diego. Here are what the blocks should look like. 
3.  Crochet:   
a.  Continue working on my Fall Granny Square Afghan.  DONE!  One more 16 patch block was connected and another is close to being done!

This Week's List
1.  Slow Stitching   
a.   Finish block two of the Bee Humble Sew Along
2. Machine Sewing:  
a.  Stitch up this month's blocks for the $15 Sampler Quilt from Bee Sew Creative.  
b.  Continue joining the Pieces in the Garden rows. 
c.  Prep Row 11 of the Pieces in the Garden QAL.
On The Radar...
- Stitch up a baby quilt that I've prepped.
- Finish up my daughter's crocheted dishcloths.
- Prep kits for January 2023

Gratitude Journal

If I'm not mistaken, this week we are sharing songs about Fall that we enjoy at our I Like link up at LeeAnne's Not Afraid of Color link up!  I hope you'll join us there!
As a nod to my memories of learning to dance by standing on Daddy's toes as "we" danced, here's Autumn Leaves by Nat King Cole.  
Here's a play list you may enjoy 
during your celebration!
We enjoyed a visit to Chicano Park.  The history there is amazing, as was our conversation with one of the residents. 
 
We also thoroughly enjoyed visiting a few museums in Balboa Park which I'll be sharing on my blog.  
 I hope your month is filled with a deep awareness of all we have to be thankful for!
Enjoyed this post? 
Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!


Here are some blogs I sometimes link up to!
Sew and Tell @ Melva Loves Scraps (Mondays) a new link up for me
Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication (Wednesdays)
I Like @ Not Afraid of Color (Thursday)

 

19 comments:

  1. I've got to admit, I become bitter when faced with trials way too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful your parents are doing well in San Diego. It's a lovely place to live and to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son works in San Diego, but lives in Carlsbad. It is a beautiful area of the country. I am glad your parents are thriving there. I like how your granny squares are progressing. You have a wide variety of books that you are reading and that you have purchased. I have to look into a few of them to put on my reading list. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would've been really easy to be bitter when my sister and my best friend both died this year, but instead I am grateful that I have been given the continuation of my life, for now, and I hope that there are still a lot of wonderful times ahead for me. Very, very, very grateful to still be alive, enjoying life!

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time in San Diego!! Glad to hear your parents are doing well.

    Spell check...Are you using Chrome? You should be able to just right click anywhere in your draft and spell check should pop up. If not, go here, in your Chrome settings, (not your Blogger settings)
    Settings -> Advanced -> Languages -> Spell check

    Happy Thanksgiving Week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good reminder to not let life make you bitter but to become better because of challenges. It sounds like your San Diego visit was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Patricia! Bitter or better - that's a tricky one yes. But I do like to believe that the Lord guides us to be better and not bitter, as long as we stay on his path.

    I enjoyed The Women in the Library, thought it was a good and interesting plot!

    Hope you will have a good week ahead and happy reading.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love San Diego, so enjoyed hearing about your visit! Glad you had a good time with your mom and dad, and sister. You have so many interesting books on your list this week, too! Enjoy stitching that beautiful Granny square afghan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a good visit to San Diego with your parents.

    I haven't had any issues on Blogger with spell check. I've only had spam comments showing up from 12 years ago. Blogger can be weird sometimes.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love San Diego! I'm glad you had a nice visit with your family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patricia, you have challenged us all to focus on being better rather than bitter when we come up against difficulties. I will try to take the higher ground.

    I'm very glad that your parents are doing great in their new home. That has to be a happy feeling.

    What a great bookstore you visited! I enjoyed With the Fire on High and Bibliophile: Diverse Spines. I hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Miaismine... can you check the link to the Bee Humble Sewing Along under the pretty afghan photo? Somehow on my screen it links up to my blogger account?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that Bee Humble Sew Along block, so pretty. I find with paper piecing it takes a while to get back into it, but once I have it, its fine. You certainly got a great number of books from the Latina bookstore, well done. Good to hear your parents are doing well and yes so hard to leave but at least you know they are well relocated. Love your prayerful reflection, it invites me to look to the future for the good in life. Happy Thanksgiving Patricia. Such a beautiful USA celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patricia! I wanted to wish a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Philippians 3:13 is definitely one of my fav Bible verses. I love what you associated with it--be better not bitter. So packed with good updates! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your bee block. Have a great holiday and a productive week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Will I become bitter or better...?"
    I want to remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been to those museums! Sounds like you had a great visit. Th Annie's book looks fun. They do the best books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you enjoyed your family visit and that your folks are doing well. Visiting a bookstore sounds wonderful. We were just talking the other day about how we never go to one anymore. Your Bee Humble block is adorable! Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete