Sunday, November 13, 2022

Weekly Word: Honoring Our Veterans + Books, Stitches and Gratitude!


 Hello There, 

Happy Veterans’ Day to all of our veterans who so faithfully and heroically served our country with courage and determination!  A special hug to my Dad, father-in-law, husband, friends and many family members who served.  

Here's is an index should you have a special interest you like to read first!  
The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects. 
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings!    
Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer - - Here you will find updates on life after Triple Negative Breast Cancer.  I was diagnosed in November of 2014 and my last day of treatment was in November 2015. 

The Weekly Word

As we spent this weekend honoring our veterans, I would simply like to remind myself and, you, my precious readers, of these beautiful songs that surely fill our hearts with patriotic joy when we sing them.

Enjoy them and remember to thank a veteran every day, not just on Veterans' Day.  




My Reading Life

Currently Reading
Finished
★★★★Booked for Trouble and The Spook in the Stacks  by Eva Gates is the second and fourth titles in the Lighthouse Library Mystery Series.  I started this series in the middle and am backreading through Gate's fun cozy mystery.   
★★★★★The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave is one of those book I cannot recommend enough!  The twists and turns kept me involved and left me eager for a part two!  
★★★★ Ramón and Julieta by Alana Quintana Albertson was a delight read that addresses returning to our cultural  roots. Quintana Albertson’s description of Barrio Logan and Chicano Park’s murals led me to research the history of this beloved community!  I’m looking forward to visiting Chicano Park and Barrio Logan on my next trip to San Diego. 
Though there was some colorful language and sex scenes that, in my mind, did not add to the story line, the theme of returning to our cultural roots out-weighed this, so I'll try the next book in the series when it comes out. 
Did Not Finish
★★★★★
I love the Netflix series, Call the Midwife, which is amazingly accurate to the book.  However, the act of reading the book deeply affected me emotionally so much that I just could not finish it at this time.  The difficult times the ladies in the East End of London endured broke my heart.  Their attitudes inspire me to be a better person.  I hope to re-read and then finish this wonderful series at another time.  Highly recommend.

Stash Report

Yarny Numbers:  Last week you read about the projects I finished, as well as yarn that was donated.  This week I remembered to include the graphic!  😂I was grateful to find these yarns needed for my Fall Granny Square Afghan!  (Picture in next section)

  

Fabric numbers:  Ok, so my Granny Square Christmas quilt did not work out.  I'm not sure what I did wrong, but when I squared up the blocks, they became wavy and definitely not squared up.  
Being that time is short as we are soon heading to San Diego, I decided to ask my daughter to look at them and we'll decide if they are worth the effort to fix them.  Life is too short to work on frustrating projects, so, for now, they are declared "Did Not Finish" objects!  😎

To Do Tuesday

Last Week's List

1.  Slow Stitching - There are two projects I'm working on, a Bee Humble sew along from Be Sew Creative and a set of tea towels for my "Golden Girls" group.  
a.  Make progress on my 2/4 tea towels! DONE!  It was a wee bit of progress due to my work on the Bee Humble project.  

b.  Finish block one for the Bee Humble Sew Along. 95% DONE! I've even almost finished prepping Block Two!  

  2. Machine Sewing:
a. Continue progress on the granny square Christmas quilt. DONE!  Though it was a bust, it's still done!  :)
b.  Join the blocks for the Pieces in the Garden SAL as a leader/ender project.   DONE!  I have a pretty stack of rows to join!  
3.  Crochet:   
a.  Continue working on my Fall Granny Square Afghan.  I'm borrowing an idea from quilting and using a 16-patch block pattern.  DONE! 
This Week's List  is pretty much the same as last week's list.   
1.  Slow Stitching   
a.  Make progress on the 2/4 tea towels! 
b.  Finish prepping block two of the Bee Humble Sew Along
2. Machine Sewing
a.  Stitch up this month's blocks for the $15 Sampler Quilt from Bee Sew Creative.
3.  Crochet:   
a.  Continue working on my Fall Granny Square Afghan.  
On The Radar...
1.  Stitch up a baby quilt that I've prepped.
2.  Finish up my daughter's crocheted dishcloths.
3.  Prepping kits for January 2023
4.  Join the Pieces in the Garden rows.  
5.  Stitch the Row 11 of the Pieces in the Garden  QAL.    

Gratitude Journal

There are times when we are broken, utterly and completely broken.  Those are the times when, if we turn to God, we give Him the opportunity to achieve His greatest healing and work in our lives.  Sometimes we are so shattered, all we can pray is, “Help me!”  That’s all it takes for our loving Abba Father to come to our aid! 

Here is the story behind Zach Williams’ song, Heaven Help Me.  


This coming week's prompt from Leeanna's Thursday's I Like link up party is to share our favorite Thanksgiving dish.  

Mine is following the Stove Top stuffing recipe and adding tons of sautéed celery, carrots and a bit of onion.  I use olive oil to sauté the veggies and, if I have it on hand, homemade chicken broth.    

Our menu is pretty traditional albeit we have now added carne de puerco con chili colorado (pork and red chili).  This tradition was introduced to us by my much-loved son-in-law.  

I really liked this post by Toby Mac.  

We saw the previews of this true story about two Korean War pilots.  I was able to score the book at our locally own used bookstore for my Dad.  The moving releases November 23rd I believe.  

Our local library now has hoopla and I'm in love, totally and completely in love!  Their selection is fabulous, and features are top notch!   

Faith, Trust and Breast Cancer

Thankfully, it’s a quiet life on the health front.  I’m staying the course with my knee exercises.  According to my surgeon, this will be a new life-long habit. 

I’m also working on strengthening my core by sitting on the sofa, leaning back, but not quite touching the back, raising my legs and pedaling.  Yup, it’s challenging, but effective.

I believe I’ve had a handicap parking placard shortly after treatment for Triple Negative Cancer.  The other day, we were lucky to find a parking at an extremely crowded venue.  I said, “Thank you, Cancer, for this parking.” 

Perhaps it’s time to look for the gifts cancer gave me, instead of the negative effects chemotherapy had on my health!  😊

I hope you have a great week!  


Enjoyed this post? 
Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!


Here are some blogs I sometimes link up to!

10 comments:

  1. I love your fall Granny Square afghan! Your Bee Humble block is very pretty too. I need to check out a couple of those books. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a little about Ramón and Julieta. I'm always interested in seeking out good books that feature the roots of a culture.

    I'm sorry Call the Midwife was too upsetting for you to read at this time. It's a powerful series of stories, and it reminds me of the struggles those that came before us faced and helped remediate.

    Hoopla is fantastic, isn't it? I've been so fortunate in finding books I can't find anywhere else on Hoopla.

    One thing I've been thinking about a lot is finding the blessings in difficulties. That does not come naturally to me, but it's something I'd like to work on in myself. It could be a superpower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your rows for the Pieces/Garden sew along look great. Nice job! I sent you a message on insta about a prize. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, also... feel free to join my Sew & Tell linky party. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bee humble is gorgeous! I love how you are putting your granny's together into a 16 patch. Hmmm. I might have to 'steal' that idea. Glad you are recovering well and that's an interesting tip - riding the bike while on the couch. Hope you have a healthy and fun week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those ladies in the East End... what an inspiration they are! I haven't read the book, but I do love the show. The little kitty on the window sill is adorable! Keep Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your take on looking at the gifts cancer gave you! What a refreshing thought. Your granny square afghan is gorgeous - makes me want to make one too - and I love your Pretty Kitty embroidery and bee block. Your joy of life is showing through your projects. :) So nice to have you sharing again with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked The Last Thing He Told Me also - it's a page turner! Your Fall Granny Square afghan is so pretty. Those colors are just so warm and cozy this time of year! Your stuffing recipe sounds yummy, too. Glad to hear you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Pretty Kitty block is so cute! I enjoyed reading all of your sections. We have Hoopla & Libby from our library and it's my daily listen.

    ReplyDelete