Sunday, November 14, 2021

Weekly Word: Stayed On Him, Reading, Stitching and Gratitude

 


Hello There!
I hope you all had a nice Veteran's Day as we gave thanks to our veterans who faithfully served, sacrificed and continue to do so today.  
It is so good to be back to blogging!  You all have been sorely missed and I'm eager to catch up on on your lives!  Also, I've realized how much these weekly blog posts add structure to my life!  Daddy and Mama are adjusting well to their new home in San Diego!  Both are so much healthier that their doctor dispensed with several daily medications in just a few short weeks!
Their move has been quite the adjustment for us, but God has been faithful answering the prayers of my loving family and friends.  Naturally, there are still hard days, but we're learning to create a new life for ourselves as we rejoice in my parent's happiness and improved health.  Our joy is deeper than our pain of missing them.    
As you will read in the Weekly Word, God has been faithful to provide me with His comfort.  This quote from Kristin Hannah's The Four Winds has also strengthened me:
This quote reminds me Romans 8:28:  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
On that note, let's move onto this week's post.  Here's is an index should you have a special interest you like to read first!  
The Weekly Word - is a short devotional that sometimes becomes a Bible Study series.  
My Reading Life - is filled with current, completed and upcoming reads as well as an occasional short review.      
Stash Report and To Do Tuesday is where I'll share share stats regarding my fiber usage and acquisitions, goals met/lack thereof and photos of my projects. 
Gratitude Journal - Sometimes I get lost in my own stinky thinking.  This digital journal reminds me to count my blessings!    
Depressed?  Grieving?  Just Plain Sad? Part 1
Pre-pandemic one of my son's friends gifted him two tickets with fabulous seating to Toby Mac's Hit Deep concert in El Paso.  I was blessed that my son invited me to join him!  Of course, it was postponed, but we were able to go this last month.  It. was. amazing.  
I went with an expectant heart and God responded with love and encouragement.  
One of the opening acts was by a very talented young lady, Terrian who sang a beautiful song, Stayed on Him, based on Isaiah 26:3. 
 Take a listen and be blessed.  Here's a link with the lyrics.  
As she sang, my son held me as my tears finally flowed.  But, Friends, here's the Good News:  There is a time for every thing and we need to give that "thing" the time it deserves.  
Via this website  I read about a few men of the Bible who experienced depression, grief and sadness.  I also noted each of these instances was followed by  promise.  

During a ladies Bible study, I learned that there is a process to grief!  And finally, I learned the lesson of keeping my mind stayed on Him.  
Do you feel a series coming on?  If you do, you'd be right.  

For now, please enjoy this song and, as the Spirit leads you, please remember Isaiah 26:3 and Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4.
Until next time, blessings to you all!  It's great to be back!

My Reading Life

This past month I've read a ton of books via audio as I Slow Stitched.  My granddaughter and I finished two Buddy Reads, Island of the Blue Dolphins and Zia.  We began our third book, A Dog's Life:  The Autobiography of a Stray.  

I finished a couple of books from my Buddy Reads with Mary Alice as well.  We read various selections as we take turns picking books.  

Remember, if you click on the books' image, you should get directed to a book description.  
Currently Reading
This cozy mystery is the
3rd book from the Secret,
Scone and Book Society series.
It's an excellent choice for
light reading!  
This book was Mary Alice's
choice for this month's book.
I've just started it.
This one is an audiobook
from Libby.  Admittedly, it was a bit challenging to get into, but 
I am thoroughly enjoying it now.  
I started this one a while
ago, but it's taking me
time to get through it.
It's a good read, I'm just
a bit unsettled right now.
😀

This is my Granddaughter's
and mine third book for our
book club.  I'm a bit concerned 
about how she will react as 
there are some tough scenes in it,
but it has a fabulous ending.  


Finished
⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Stash Report

Yarny Numbers
There's been no changes in yarn this month.  I'm work on my Granddaughter's Star quilt as well as the moss stitch afghan, both worked in the Tranquil yarn.   

Fabric numbers
My fabric numbers have really changed!  A ton has come in as well as several yards have gone out!  
These are my purchases.  I'm hoping to make some cute gifts out of the Christmas fabric.  The Songbook panel and the complimentary fabrics will be a quilt one day.  The grey fabric went out right away as scrub caps for my dentist.




To Do Tuesday


Last Week's List

My last list was over a month ago!  
1.  Sunday Slow Stitching:  Keep up with my daily QAYG Hexagons.  Work on my mittens.  Done and done.  I've been able to keep up with these projects.  Here's the progress on my QAYG Daily Hexagon quilt.  I have about 15 more hexies to add!  


2.  Crochet:  This will be my long-term goal:  Progress on both Tranquil afghans and make more dishcloths.  Done and done.  
3.  Machine Sewing:  Prep and stitch Melva's Grandmother's Block.   Not yet, but I'm hoping to catch up soon.   
4.  Machine Sewing:  Finish Step It Up flimsy.   Done!  
This Week's List
1.  Sunday Slow Stitching:  Keep up with my daily QAYG Hexagons.  Work on my mittens.   
2.  Crochet:  Progress on both Tranquil afghans and make more dishcloths. 
3.  Machine Sewing:  Finish the commission job.     
4.  Machine Sewing:  Plan and layout the blocks from my Qube Crush quilt.  
5.  Choose and prep this year's Christmas gifts for my grandbabies.  

   

Gratitude Journal


This Teriyaki Chicken recipe is a family favorite and so easy to make!  Combine 1/2 cup soy sauce, 2 tbsps honey and 1 1/2 tspns ginger in a cup.  Pour it over the chicken pieces of your choice. Bake  at 375 for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I double my sauce to have a bit extra for the rice.     
I am purchasing yet another 30's layer cake to make this cute Matchsticks quilt!  

Doesn't this scarf look cuddly?

With God's help, we can all reach our full potential!

I've wanted to make a rectangle granny square afghan for ages.  Isn't this a lovely combination of colors?

Yes, this photo looks like a mess, but I love it!
I use the "mark up" feature on my cell phone's photo editing app to literally see where add the next hexies on my QAYG hexie project. This feature really helps!
Are you all as visual as I am?  :)

My daughter gave me this USB pigtail. 
We plug it into our embroidery machine's USB and leave it there.
Then we attach our USB with our embroidery patterns to the pigtail.
This saves so much wear and tear on our machine's USB port! 


Perhaps you'll visit these linky parties I sometimes link up to when I have quilting/crochet/books to share:  


The Loop Scoop hosted simultaneously by
Petals to Picots and Moogly



Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict (Friday)

Enjoyed this post? 
Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!


20 comments:

  1. Love your hexagons! Sew pretty. I'll check out a few of those books - especially the light cozy mysteries. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia, it is wonderful to see you blogging again.

    You've read a lot of great books. I especially like the books you are reading with your granddaughter. There can be no better way to develop a book habit in a child than to read books together.

    I will be making a quilt in 2022. It will be a t-shirt quilt for my granddaughter. Since I have given away my quilting tools and my sewing machine, I am fortunate to have my aunt offer to help me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Great usage, and glad your parents are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have lots of good things in your post that I enjoyed reading! It's a huge change for your Mom and Dad to have moved farther away from you. I can relate because we moved my mom up here to Colorado from her home in Arizona this spring to be closer to me and my sister, and there has been lots of adjustment for all of us. I hope and pray it's the right thing in the long run! I love seeing your progress on the hexie project - it's so pretty. Lots of good books on your list - many of them are also on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you again Patricia. I've enjoyed seeing your hexagons on Instagram! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm so glad I just poured myself a cup of tea before I began reading this wonderful post. So much news! I love that quote and the Bible references. Isaiah is my favourite book. How great you got to that concert. I've never heard of the USB pigtail; we could use one of those here. And thanks for sharing your reading list. I will have to return later on. Take care now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are blogging again! I have the Ellery Adams series on my TBR. It really does look good. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you hexagon project!! I want to make that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Romans 8:28 is such a good reminder! How wonderful that you were able to attend the Toby Mac concert and with your son.

    Lots of good reading - I read and enjoyed The Invisible Husband of Frick Island and Island of the Blue Dolphins. I have not read the Francine Rivers, but I like her as an author.

    The teriyaki chicken sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be a relief to you and your family to know your parents are now happy in their new home and in better health. Love all those sweet hexies. They are all so pretty dancing together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hexi project is looking fabulous. I look forward to seeing what Christmas gifts and items you make with your new stash. Have a wonderful week and happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see some authors I love to read like Kristan Higgins, Barbara Claypole White and Be My Ghost. Love 30's fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back. I'm glad you're enjoying Life and Other Inconveniences, I really liked that book too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been so busy. My fabric stash looks like yours but hopefully Christmas gifts will take care of most of it. Love your book selection. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just told today about Life and Other Inconveniences and have put it on my TBR list. I also enjoy reading Francine Rivers books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to see you back! I hope you are able to adjust to your parents being farther away. Terrian has a pretty voice and lovely vibrato. Your hexagons are beautiful! You've done well keeping up with things. You'll get that Grandmother's Block done in no time. Thank you for the teriyaki recipe, the tip on the phone editing, and the info on the USB pigtail.
    I just realized your name is Patricia! Welcome back to To Do Tuesday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hexies and Step It Up projects both look great. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your QAYG hexies, looks so pretty! Your post is really inspirational, thanks for sharing with us xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi. I'm really happy to hear that your parents are doing well. Good luck with your projects. Take care.

    ReplyDelete