Sunday, July 25, 2021

Survivors’ Guilt Part Three, Reading, Stitching, and Gratitude

https://dribbble.com/shots/2626626-Welcome-Gif

Hello There!

I am grateful you've come for a visit.  I'll be continue our Survivor's Guilt Series inspired by this post at Parkview Health, sharing some books I'm reading, finished and plan to read, and my crafty life which is in a bit of a fluid state at the moment.  At the end of this post, you'll find a pictorial journal of moments that brought me joy and gratitude this week.  Please, grab your favorite drink, settle in and enjoy your visit!   

THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK

Survivors' Guilt Part 3
Part 1 Part 2  Part 4
The key to beating back the defeated one's goal of driving us into despair is not only knowing, but pursuing God's will for our life - the work he would have us accomplish for His glory.  Not only that, but we have an obligation to pray for others to find their way as well.  
Looking for a prayer to pray for them?  Try  Colossians 1:9-14.  First pray it for yourself, replacing the word "you" with "me".  The second time you pray it, replace "you" with the name of the person you're praying for.  This verse is a powerful prayer, don't you think?
For this reason, since the day we heard about you, 
we have not stopped praying for you. 
We continually ask God 
to fill you with the knowledge of His will 
through all the wisdom and understanding 
that the Spirit gives, 
so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord 
and please Him in every way: 
bearing fruit in every good work, 
growing in the knowledge of God, 
being strengthened with all power 
according to His glorious might 
so that you may have great endurance and patience, 
and giving joyful thanks to the Father, 
who has qualified you 
to share in the inheritance of His holy people 
in the kingdom of light. 
For He has rescued us 
from the dominion of darkness 
and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves, 
in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. 
 Colossians 1:9-14
Parkview's website then recommended that those of us struggling with Survivors' Guilt chose joy/victory over despair.  We can choose to bury ourselves in despair over our own survival and the loss of our loved ones, or we can go forward in the Lord's joy - which is our strength, by the way - which will lead to His victory.  

I'm not saying grieving has no place in our lives!  Quite the opposite! Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 tells us there is a season for everything, but verse 4 is particularly applicable to our discussion:
Once time of weeping and mourning is lessened (as it is never really finished, is it?),we can move forward with His joy to declare victory and go about our God ordained purpose.  
In my next post, I will share the tools we can use to achieve this challenging goal.  

BOOK DATE
You can click on the books' images to be directed to a review page on  Goodreads.  :)
Currently Reading
The second installment to The Giver Series.
This book is my devotional read, so it will be on my "Reading" list for a while.  
My granddaughter would like us to read 3 chapters a week,
so this re-read will also be here for a few weeks.  

Finished:    
Though I am beginning to purge my bookshelves,
or so I like to tell myself, 😉
this is one book I hope to add!
I enjoyed this read, but wow!  
The society Jonas lived in was so strange and controlled. 
 Albeit, it was to protect the people, 
but can too much protection be a negative? 
Another good read by John Grisham 
in which he discloses a web of corruption.  
On a side note, I started and finished 
this audio book in a week!
This is a testimony of God's healing hand.
After  chemotherapy and radiations treatments 
for most of 2014, 
it took me 9 months to a year 
to be able to retain enough to even begin to read!
Today, in 2021, I can now juggle multiple books!
Praising God!
Next few books  
STASH REPORT
Yarny numbers
Lately, purging my closet, linen closet, crochet and reading have been calling to me.  I've finished two more dishcloths, made a tiny bit of progress on my hexagon afghan and significant progress one of my Tranquil afghan.  

Fabric numbers
My daughter gave me some fabric, but other than that, no changes.  My daughter did give me some fabrics, so indeed those numbers are up.  

Also, I won this fat quarter from Melva at Melva Loves Scraps during our Pieces of the Santa Fe Trail QAL!  Thank you so much, Melva!
Productivity Stats
No changes here.  

TO DO TUESDAY

Last Week's List
1.  Prepped Projects:  Begin laying out my squares.  I'm not sure how to arrange all 72 squares...in a large quilt?  in various sized baby quilts?  a lap quilt and baby quilts?  My daughter suggested this layout.    
2.  Continue to progress on my hexagon afghan.  😊
3.  Slow Stitching:  Finish my dear mitten as well as frog my Noel mitten to make corrections.  
  
This Week's List
  I seem to be in a crafty state of flux. Consequently, this week's list is quite simple.
1. Follow the crafty call on my heart be it crochet, Slow Stitching or machine sewing.

GRATITUDE JOURNEY
I hope you enjoy this week's Gratitude Journey!
First, the song that blessed me this week!

This is my parent's dog, Crispin, sleeping by Mama.
I was teasing him by taking his toy away, 
so he fell asleep with it in his mouth!
My son requested this Kielbasa sausage and veggie stir-fry.
It was delicious!

I picked up these books at Coas, a locally owned bookstore
that trades in used/new books. 

I love, absolutely love Books About Books!
I've yet to read one I didn't like!


I like this Scripture from the book, Barrio America.

And that, my friends, is a wrap.  


Midweek Makers @ Quilt Fabrication (Wednesdays)

The Loop Scoop hosted simultaneously by



Enjoyed this post? 
Never miss out on future posts by following this blog!

Your comments are so appreciated! 
I read each one and will respond by email.
You can also expect a visit from me as well!

I read on Kathy's post that Google may be doing away with feedburner as an email subscription service.  She switched to follow.it and I've decided to do the same.  

Should you like to subscribe, you can do so by clicking here, on the right sidebar or at the link at the bottom of each post.

You may want to keep a list of the blogs you enjoy reading just in case they drop off your inbox!  I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you!  Surely we can thrive through this latest change to our blogging world. 

I'll be adding this note to my posts for a few weeks to attempt to catch all my visitors.

 


9 comments:

  1. Your daughter gave you some great fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to track your progress in healing - that now you can read so much more than in 2014. I am sure that would help others to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. All the best for your reading and crafting for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a season for everything, isn't there. How wonderful you can read and enjoy many books again. Your Tranquil afghan has the prettiest of colours. Book stores, both new and used, are my very favourite of places. I can hide in a bookstore for ages and not want to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiring verse. It's powerful to hear that others are praying for us.

    The Giver is a story I read recently with my book group. How can it be so negative to have such a controlled society? And yet it is.

    Great song! Thank you for all your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your new books!

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re reading so many awesome books! I loved Gathering Blue and Island Of The Blue Dolphins when I was a kid. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Giver was wonderful. I am loving the fabrics. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a powerful prayer that is. Wasn't Paul a great pray-er? Dopes your daughter quilt, or is she your creative assistant? :) I like your goal for the week - to let yourself gravitate toward whatever makes you happy for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that you are now able to juggle your reading and enjoy it. Your daughter gifted you some lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete